Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to MTB

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New to MTB

Hello everyone, let me tell you a bit about my self and what I am going through and may be you can give me some advice, I am 28 years old, weight 340 pounds and I just got my first bike for exercise purposes, its a Trek 4300, my goal is to lose weight and be able to keep up with my friends, so I am wondering what kind of training do you suggest for me... any tips will be greatly appreciated, thank you

mtbr member
    Welcome!!! I guess the only "training" I could tell you, that makes sense since you got a bike, is to go ride it!!! As time passes, you'll notice that you can go for longer amounts of time, each time, without stopping for breaks.

I think the attitude, which it seems like you already have, is the most important thing (second is your bike lol) ...

Now go get on that thing and ride!!!

PS: what color did you get?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by OSOK
    Welcome!!! I guess the only "training" I could tell you, that makes sense since you got a bike, is to go ride it!!! As time passes, you'll notice that you can go for longer amounts of time, each time, without stopping for breaks.

I think the attitude, which it seems like you already have, is the most important thing (second is your bike lol) ...

Now go get on that thing and ride!!!

PS: what color did you get?

thank you OSOK for your comment, i got the green and blak just like that one, i will keep riding!!!

mtbr member
    Yeah...ride, ride, and ride some more. Hit the hills. Nothing will tax your muscles and cardio more than a big climb. Don't be ashamed to walk your bike if you need to. I know some people that will avoid a climb because they are embarrassed to walk their bike if they can't make the full climb. Thing is, even if you can't do it now, you keep trying and one day you will and soon after that it will be easy, and after that you won't even realize the hill is even there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well guys, I'm doing 30 min a day, not much, but thats the time i have left, so far I have lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks and Im feeling better riding the bike, so Im very happy, tomorrow Im going out for the first time with a group, beginners, it is a 7 miles ride so Im gonna push my self for the first time, I'll let you know how it goes.

The only problem that I've so far is that the seat pole keeps sliding down after a while, I think I solved it but I haven't tryied it yet, I'll go out this afternoon so I hope this is fixed.

see you at the trails.

Omaha Clyde
    Mar 2009
    Diet is more important that exercise.....dont forget about that.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by jarHunter

.Oh and congrats OP!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jarHunter
    of course my friend, I am going with a nutritionist every 3 weeks and I am on a diet, but part of the program is for me to exercise 15 min a day, so Im doing a little bit more.

mtbr member
    Good luck and keep at it, you'r off to a good start.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hags707
    Good luck and keep at it, you'r off to a good start.
    thank you for the comment, Im trying to make it, and all support counts

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    well... i just want to share that i already lost 30 pounds, i am riding a lot more know, i was able to find a group of good fellas that were kind enough to invite me to a really good ride this past weekend, 16 miles in about 3 hours and it was just great

The Pain Train
    Jun 2010
    Congratulations! That is awesome, keep it up!
    Nick Armstrong
    -Windsor Cliff 4900
    RockShox Dart2, Deore FD, Deore XT RD, TruVativ 5D, Alex DP17, WTB Velociraptors

Professional Speed Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by jruizw
    well... i just want to share that i already lost 30 pounds, i am riding a lot more know, i was able to find a group of good fellas that were kind enough to invite me to a really good ride this past weekend, 16 miles in about 3 hours and it was just great
    Hey! Congrats!

That's a major loss. I'm sure you're feeling awesome right now.

Keep riding...this is probably one of the healthiest addictions you'll ever get hooked on.

mtbr member
    Congrats. Thats awsome. Keep up the good work.

mtbr member
    Awesome, amigo! 30 lubs... that's a good chunk. Keep us posted on your progress.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Awesome dude, just make sure you're not eating TOO little or you're gonna burn yourself out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Good job man, keep up the good work and you will be feeling better in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by mmik
    Awesome dude, just make sure you're not eating TOO little or you're gonna burn yourself out.
    If he is working with a nutritionist we would hope that doesn't happen, but I would make sure they are aware of how much exercise you are doing so they can plan your diet accordingly.

Again, keep up the good work!

-Bryce

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well I just want to share that after 5 months, I alredy lost 45 pounds, I am riding everyweekend, I joined two groups so I do a light ride on saturday and then on sunday we have the good stuff, I already changed my bike, after a couple of months I realized the frame #18 was too small for me so I spoke with the dealer and they took my bike as part of the payment for the new one, I kind of had an upgrade, got the new Trek 4300 (2011) with discs in frame size #19.5, it feels a lot better, specially when climbing, I'll leave a pic of the new ride, that was my first ride with her

as well, I will leave you the link for the blog of the group I ride with, by the way I live in Guatemala, Central America, so you can check out some pics on our rides.

http://blog.tremosmtbguatemala.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Congrats on the weight loss man! and the new bike.

Professional Speed Bump
    Nice photo!

Nice Bike!

Is that your son?

mtbr member
    Well I just want to share that after 5 months, I alredy lost 45 pounds, I am riding everyweekend, I joined two groups so I do a light ride on saturday and then on sunday we have the good stuff, I already changed my bike, after a couple of months I realized the frame #18 was too small for me so I spoke with the dealer and they took my bike as part of the payment for the new one, I kind of had an upgrade, got the new Trek 4300 (2011) with discs in frame size #19.5, it feels a lot better, specially when climbing, I'll leave a pic of the new ride, that was my first ride with her

as well, I will leave you the link for the blog of the group I ride with, by the way I live in Guatemala, Central America, so you can check out some pics on our rides.

http://blog.tremosmtbguatemala.com/
    That's incredible progress on the weight loss. Enjoy the "new" bike. Nice to hear that your LBS was able to work with you on getting you fit into the right size bike. I actually did the opposite. I had gotten a 19.5 initially and they took my bike back for an 18.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    have you adjusted your diet? I find that riding as well as cutting out sodas and bread cause me to literally shed pounds. 200 is too much for my, right now I hover at 180. Trying to get down to 175 by winter.

Great job by the way... on the weight loss and the bike dealing.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Getting started in a routine is the hardest for me.. Motivation is just not there yet.
    To op;
    Good for you tho brother! seems like you have a great support team!
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Congrats on dropping the weight. Keep eating clean and riding and it will drop off. Keep in mind it takes time especially as you get closer to your goal. Remember how long it took to add that weight and it will take just as long or longer to lose. Don't get discouraged. I bet you have some killer riding down there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoon
    Nice photo!

Nice Bike!

Is that your son?
    No, not my son, a local kid in one of the villages that we went through during that ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoDog
    have you adjusted your diet? I find that riding as well as cutting out sodas and bread cause me to literally shed pounds. 200 is too much for my, right now I hover at 180. Trying to get down to 175 by winter.

Great job by the way... on the weight loss and the bike dealing.
    Well I am seeing a nutritionist, I am on a diet, pretty much cutting on carbs and learning to eat healthy, no more sodas, bread, cakes or stuff like that, I am having 5 small meals a day, the ones in-between are only fruit, an apple or an orange or something like that, I am planning on loosing another 40 pounds, thats my goal, according to the nutritionist if we stick to the plan and keep up the workout I should be there by February 2011.

mtbr member
    AWSOME, Good for you!

Talk to your nutritionist about more carbs pre-ride to build endorence, and doing cardio in the morning before eating, to tap into stored fat instead of food.. Simple carbs with protien is good post ride to help build and recover also.
    Last edited by theMeat; 09-25-2010 at 02:22 PM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well I am seeing a nutritionist, I am on a diet, pretty much cutting on carbs and learning to eat healthy, no more sodas, bread, cakes or stuff like that, I am having 5 small meals a day, the ones in-between are only fruit, an apple or an orange or something like that, I am planning on loosing another 40 pounds, thats my goal, according to the nutritionist if we stick to the plan and keep up the workout I should be there by February 2011.
    You absolutely will have success with that plan (as you're already beginning to see) as long as you stick to it religiously and hammer those rides. I got a new FR heavy-as-hell rig that I ride on all types of trails a couple months ago and ride roughly 5-15 miles a day 6 days most weeks, if not 7. Eat a ton of fruit for breakfast, a small/lean lunch, protein from canned salmon after hard rides on an empty stomach, then a small, lean dinner.

I've dropped from 210 (at 5'7") at the end of July to 187 now. Plus I've lost nearly 5 inches off my waist from 40" then to 35.5" now. It was that mid-30s-just-got-married-too-busy-with-my-job type of weight that was hard to lose until I finally made up my mind to get back on the bike, eat better, eat less, and just get it done. Good luck!

On a separate note - are there a lot of mtbrs in your town? I saw two other rides parked along a wall in the one picture you posted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt
    Congrats on dropping the weight. Keep eating clean and riding and it will drop off. Keep in mind it takes time especially as you get closer to your goal. Remember how long it took to add that weight and it will take just as long or longer to lose. Don't get discouraged. I bet you have some killer riding down there.
    whenever I cheat on the diet I start thinking how many hours in the bike it will require to loose that weight again but I try to avoid cheating.

we have nice rides, a little bit of everything, leave you some pics

This was in Coban, Alta Verapaz, we did a 35 miles ride 4,600 feet over the sea down to 1,000, temperature was killing us, 104 degrees

This was last week in Amatitlan, light ride but nice

This was a couple of months ago, we did another 35 mile ride in Antigua Guatemala, awesome place

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    On a separate note - are there a lot of mtbrs in your town? I saw two other rides parked along a wall in the one picture you posted.
    thank you for your comments my friend!!!

well I leave about 35 miles away from the city in a small town, not that many mtbrs down here, but there are many groups in the city, so I get to drive where they are meeting, the group that I ride with on Saturday, El Club del Abuelo, there are about 60 people on and off depending on the day, but usually we go out riding around 25 to 35 at a time, this group is people that often is either starting riding or coming back.

then on Sundays I ride with another group, Tremos, there are like 60 members as well in this group, but usually we go out arround 30 on any given sunday.

Here is a pic some of the usual Sunday riders when we went to Coban, ready for the action

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Sweet pix man! You are an inspiration!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    thank you for your comments my friend!!!

well I leave about 35 miles away from the city in a small town, not that many mtbrs down here, but there are many groups in the city, so I get to drive where they are meeting, the group that I ride with on Saturday, El Club del Abuelo, there are about 60 people on and off depending on the day, but usually we go out riding around 25 to 35 at a time, this group is people that often is either starting riding or coming back.

then on Sundays I ride with another group, Tremos, there are like 60 members as well in this group, but usually we go out arround 30 on any given sunday.

Here is a pic some of the usual Sunday riders when we went to Coban, ready for the action
    Really cool to see pics of mtbrs from other areas of the world! I know there's other posters on here from Costa Rica and Venezuela. I'm from near Philadelphia, PA and I think its cool you can ride year-round without ice and 20 degree F winter winds but I realize you probably have some kind of rainy season and a lot of mud to go along with the heat. Hopefully, looks like that Tropical Storm Matthew might have just missed you to the north today.

Dive Bomber
    If you want to loose weight do cadence.
    Cardio training with fat burning zone really help because you burn your fat and not calories.
    I got my six pack back just in 3 month, I ride everyday 10-15km 120-150rpm and trust me if it's fat that you burn you don't even feel hungry after exercise.

BTW I wish I ride in your place, I bet it's a beautiful place.

Trying not to kill myself
    What a fantastic thread - I hope your story inspires many others to get healthy. Thanks for keeping us updated & congrats on all your progress!

Master of Disaster
    The October 2010 issue of Mountain Bike Rider has a great article well worth reading- Skill School on page 80:

- The neutral position
    - Manuals/Drop offs
    - Riding berms
    - Switchbacks
    - Jumping

Mountain Bike Rider (site): http://www.mbr.co.uk

Download issues of MBR for free: http://www.magazinesdownload.com/?ta...ain+bike+rider

Also, BikeSkills.com has some pretty neat tutorial videos that are worth a look: http://www.bikeskills.com/blog/?page_id=422

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    Really cool to see pics of mtbrs from other areas of the world! I know there's other posters on here from Costa Rica and Venezuela. I'm from near Philadelphia, PA and I think its cool you can ride year-round without ice and 20 degree F winter winds but I realize you probably have some kind of rainy season and a lot of mud to go along with the heat. Hopefully, looks like that Tropical Storm Matthew might have just missed you to the north today.
    No snow or ice for us, but we got about 8 months of rain, we try to keep riding all year long.

We just got hit by Matthew today, the forecast is at least another 48 hours of heavy rains, not sure if we are riding tomorrow, I bailed today, it was pouring but the guys just cant miss sundays ride, I still have too think about it

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade
    If you want to loose weight do cadence.
    Cardio training with fat burning zone really help because you burn your fat and not calories.
    I got my six pack back just in 3 month, I ride everyday 10-15km 120-150rpm and trust me if it's fat that you burn you don't even feel hungry after exercise.

BTW I wish I ride in your place, I bet it's a beautiful place.
    I still need to get my heart rate monitor in order to do cardio the right way, keep my hbr between 70% and 80%, thats the next step

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe23
    What a fantastic thread - I hope your story inspires many others to get healthy. Thanks for keeping us updated & congrats on all your progress!
    thank you for your comments! just trying to share what I like, mtb is great, I have met a lot of really cool people, always willing to give you a hand, as well I am getting to know a lot of cool places down here in Guatemala that I had no idea that they exist

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    The October 2010 issue of Mountain Bike Rider has a great article well worth reading- Skill School on page 80:

- The neutral position
    - Manuals/Drop offs
    - Riding berms
    - Switchbacks
    - Jumping

Mountain Bike Rider (site): http://www.mbr.co.uk

Download issues of MBR for free: http://www.magazinesdownload.com/?ta...ain+bike+rider

Also, BikeSkills.com has some pretty neat tutorial videos that are worth a look: http://www.bikeskills.com/blog/?page_id=422
    Wow! really cool link, already downloading! thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat
    AWSOME, Good for you!

Talk to your nutritionist about more carbs pre-ride to build endorence, and doing cardio in the morning before eating, to tap into stored fat instead of food.. Simple carbs with protien is good post ride to help build and recover also.
    thank you for the advice, I'll talk to her about it, I read about the pre-ride carbs, I'll see what she says

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well guys, sharing with your the latest, I'm 55 pounds lighter now I am riding clipless pedals and we just had an awesome ride today, I'll leave some pics I took.

I didnt take this one... but thats me

Picture Unrelated
    Those trails look awesome, glad you're getting into it! Keep it up and keep the pictures coming!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    nice job, jruizw! great pics, too! guatemala is wonderful place. my son is from there (actually lived in amatitlan for a little while) and we made two trips there (not for mountain biking though) and look forward to more.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

~Disc~Golf~
    sweet man!

~Disc~Golf~
    need more info about:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    That is awesome my friend! Looks like choice riding.. wow!

My spelling is atroshus
    When I started riding mtb, I hit it hard, and immediately lost forty lbs. Evidently bicycles must use fat or something like that. I altered my diet a little, but now I can drink beer without it going directly to my gut.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    need more info about:
    LOL

One of our team members, really good mtbr, I usually see her when we start the ride then at the end of the ride, she fell yesterday and busted her knee, she might need to get some liquid drained but she is getting a second opinion today

A bike brought me here!
    Good job JR! I need to lose about 14 kilos myself.... Just started biking again, have three bikes all free or very cheap!
    Gary Fisher Marlin, Giant ATX770 and a Mongoose Blackcomb all running good! I lost about 4 to 5 kilos so far this month and feeling better!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Hasta Luego!

poikaa

mtbr member
    Just wanted to say hello from ATX, awesome pics and this thread is too cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast