1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to MTB

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New to MTB

Hello everyone, let me tell you a bit about my self and what I am going through and may be you can give me some advice, I am 28 years old, weight 340 pounds and I just got my first bike for exercise purposes, its a Trek 4300, my goal is to lose weight and be able to keep up with my friends, so I am wondering what kind of training do you suggest for me... any tips will be greatly appreciated, thank you

mtbr member
    Welcome!!! I guess the only "training" I could tell you, that makes sense since you got a bike, is to go ride it!!! As time passes, you'll notice that you can go for longer amounts of time, each time, without stopping for breaks.

I think the attitude, which it seems like you already have, is the most important thing (second is your bike lol) ...

Now go get on that thing and ride!!!

PS: what color did you get?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by OSOK
    Welcome!!! I guess the only "training" I could tell you, that makes sense since you got a bike, is to go ride it!!! As time passes, you'll notice that you can go for longer amounts of time, each time, without stopping for breaks.

I think the attitude, which it seems like you already have, is the most important thing (second is your bike lol) ...

Now go get on that thing and ride!!!

PS: what color did you get?

thank you OSOK for your comment, i got the green and blak just like that one, i will keep riding!!!

mtbr member
    Yeah...ride, ride, and ride some more. Hit the hills. Nothing will tax your muscles and cardio more than a big climb. Don't be ashamed to walk your bike if you need to. I know some people that will avoid a climb because they are embarrassed to walk their bike if they can't make the full climb. Thing is, even if you can't do it now, you keep trying and one day you will and soon after that it will be easy, and after that you won't even realize the hill is even there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well guys, I'm doing 30 min a day, not much, but thats the time i have left, so far I have lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks and Im feeling better riding the bike, so Im very happy, tomorrow Im going out for the first time with a group, beginners, it is a 7 miles ride so Im gonna push my self for the first time, I'll let you know how it goes.

The only problem that I've so far is that the seat pole keeps sliding down after a while, I think I solved it but I haven't tryied it yet, I'll go out this afternoon so I hope this is fixed.

see you at the trails.

Omaha Clyde
    Mar 2009
    Diet is more important that exercise.....dont forget about that.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by jarHunter

.Oh and congrats OP!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jarHunter
    of course my friend, I am going with a nutritionist every 3 weeks and I am on a diet, but part of the program is for me to exercise 15 min a day, so Im doing a little bit more.

mtbr member
    Good luck and keep at it, you'r off to a good start.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hags707
    Good luck and keep at it, you'r off to a good start.
    thank you for the comment, Im trying to make it, and all support counts

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    well... i just want to share that i already lost 30 pounds, i am riding a lot more know, i was able to find a group of good fellas that were kind enough to invite me to a really good ride this past weekend, 16 miles in about 3 hours and it was just great

The Pain Train
    Jun 2010
    Congratulations! That is awesome, keep it up!
    Nick Armstrong
    -Windsor Cliff 4900
    RockShox Dart2, Deore FD, Deore XT RD, TruVativ 5D, Alex DP17, WTB Velociraptors

Professional Speed Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by jruizw
    well... i just want to share that i already lost 30 pounds, i am riding a lot more know, i was able to find a group of good fellas that were kind enough to invite me to a really good ride this past weekend, 16 miles in about 3 hours and it was just great
    Hey! Congrats!

That's a major loss. I'm sure you're feeling awesome right now.

Keep riding...this is probably one of the healthiest addictions you'll ever get hooked on.

mtbr member
    Congrats. Thats awsome. Keep up the good work.

mtbr member
    Awesome, amigo! 30 lubs... that's a good chunk. Keep us posted on your progress.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Awesome dude, just make sure you're not eating TOO little or you're gonna burn yourself out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Good job man, keep up the good work and you will be feeling better in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by mmik
    Awesome dude, just make sure you're not eating TOO little or you're gonna burn yourself out.
    If he is working with a nutritionist we would hope that doesn't happen, but I would make sure they are aware of how much exercise you are doing so they can plan your diet accordingly.

Again, keep up the good work!

-Bryce

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well I just want to share that after 5 months, I alredy lost 45 pounds, I am riding everyweekend, I joined two groups so I do a light ride on saturday and then on sunday we have the good stuff, I already changed my bike, after a couple of months I realized the frame #18 was too small for me so I spoke with the dealer and they took my bike as part of the payment for the new one, I kind of had an upgrade, got the new Trek 4300 (2011) with discs in frame size #19.5, it feels a lot better, specially when climbing, I'll leave a pic of the new ride, that was my first ride with her

as well, I will leave you the link for the blog of the group I ride with, by the way I live in Guatemala, Central America, so you can check out some pics on our rides.

http://blog.tremosmtbguatemala.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Congrats on the weight loss man! and the new bike.

Professional Speed Bump
    Nice photo!

Nice Bike!

Is that your son?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jruizw
    Well I just want to share that after 5 months, I alredy lost 45 pounds, I am riding everyweekend, I joined two groups so I do a light ride on saturday and then on sunday we have the good stuff, I already changed my bike, after a couple of months I realized the frame #18 was too small for me so I spoke with the dealer and they took my bike as part of the payment for the new one, I kind of had an upgrade, got the new Trek 4300 (2011) with discs in frame size #19.5, it feels a lot better, specially when climbing, I'll leave a pic of the new ride, that was my first ride with her

as well, I will leave you the link for the blog of the group I ride with, by the way I live in Guatemala, Central America, so you can check out some pics on our rides.

http://blog.tremosmtbguatemala.com/
    That's incredible progress on the weight loss. Enjoy the "new" bike. Nice to hear that your LBS was able to work with you on getting you fit into the right size bike. I actually did the opposite. I had gotten a 19.5 initially and they took my bike back for an 18.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    have you adjusted your diet? I find that riding as well as cutting out sodas and bread cause me to literally shed pounds. 200 is too much for my, right now I hover at 180. Trying to get down to 175 by winter.

Great job by the way... on the weight loss and the bike dealing.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Getting started in a routine is the hardest for me.. Motivation is just not there yet.
    To op;
    Good for you tho brother! seems like you have a great support team!
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Congrats on dropping the weight. Keep eating clean and riding and it will drop off. Keep in mind it takes time especially as you get closer to your goal. Remember how long it took to add that weight and it will take just as long or longer to lose. Don't get discouraged. I bet you have some killer riding down there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoon
    Nice photo!

Nice Bike!

Is that your son?
    No, not my son, a local kid in one of the villages that we went through during that ride

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast