1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New to MTB...

mtbr member
    May 2007

New to MTB...

Hey,

Congrats to myself for celebrating my birthday yesterday with a new (and also my very first) MTB, a Trek Fuel EX8. I've been riding on the road for 15 years but I'm new to mountain biking.

I live in Pasadena, CA, so anyone who's from the area and can give me some directions for nice trails let me know!

Here are a few pictures of my new bike:

wannabe corporate shill
    Jan 2006
    nice, welcome aboard.

on a less serious note: do you have many nosebleeds with your seat so high? I'm getting light-headed just looking at the photos.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by grnxb
    nice, welcome aboard.

on a less serious note: do you have many nosebleeds with your seat so high? I'm getting light-headed just looking at the photos.
    Yeah it was indeed too high, I measured the distance between my BB and top of the saddle on my road bike and set this to be the same on my MTB but it looked a little weird and also did not feel that comfortable. I lowered it by about 15mm which seemed to be a lot better. I don't know what the general rule is for saddle height comparison between road and mountain bikes - if there is really one?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a question - when taking the wheels out and putting them back it it's somewhat tricky to avoid the brake disc not touching the brakes, and it's difficult to see if that's the case. Is ther a trick to this?

mtbr member
    Holy high seat batman...how tall are you? nice bike though, go out there and get it dirty.
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm only 6'1", but like I said, it was a little too high. I'll take your advice this afternoon

mtbr member

High seat

I know a couple guys who got into MTB's after serious road biking do the same thing. The high seat will feel more natural to you at first but it will take only your first moderately squirly downhill to cure you of this
    As someone who pretty much started with MTB's I did the opposite - I had to learn to put the seat up to get more power and spin on flats and uphills. Just playing around with seat height on your first rides will probably teach you all you need to know.
    Pain rushes in to fill the void where common sense should be.

local trails rider
    Nice bike!
    The high seat made me wonder if the frame is large (long) enough for you.

For cross country style riding (as opposed to downhill and jumping) the seat positioning should be very close to road positioning. For steep descents and very rough ground, lowering the seat makes it easier to move around the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Burrito
    I have a question - when taking the wheels out and putting them back it it's somewhat tricky to avoid the brake disc not touching the brakes, and it's difficult to see if that's the case. Is ther a trick to this?
    So what if the disk touches? It won't hurt anything. Some people have problems with the pads closing together when the wheel is removed (hint: never squeeze the brake lever when the wheel is off) so they make a spacer to keep the pads apart while the wheel is removed.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I actually have a spacer and put it in on my way home, but it was quite difficult to take it out afterwards. And I couldn't put the wheel in again without major brake friction. Will take a closer look today.

mtbr member
    Awesome!

I purchased an EX8 about 2 months ago and I totally love it. Always nice to see another one out on the trails.

Ride hard!

mtbr member
    Awesome!

I purchased an EX8 about 2 months ago and I totally love it. Always nice to see another one out on the trails.

Ride hard!