mtbr member
    Apr 2006

new to mt. biking . . . again

After a 5 year hiatus from riding, I decided to start again (I should have alot more free time over the summer than what I have had since college) So I pulled my bike out of storage and gave it a full tune up.

To give you an idea of the age of my bike, it is an AMP B-3, which I believe was discontinued around '98, with shimano xt components from '97. Anyways, while giving it a tune-up, I noticed a couple of things. The barrel adjuster on my rear deraileur is stripped, and I will probably be getting a new fork for it unless I can find parts to rebuild my Mozo Pro-W.

So my questions are this: If I recall correctly, Shimano switched to a 9 speed rear hub sometime after I purchased my bike. From my understanding, I should be able to put on a new deraileur designed for 9speed hubs without too much problems. But I am worried that the pullies may be too thin for an 8 speed chain. I was wondering what I would possible have for problems when trying to put a new one on.

Secondly, I am completely out of touch with what is on the market now. What are some good 3.5" to 4" forks that would be recommended? I generally won't be taking any drops more than 3 feet, and I only weigh 135 lbs. But I do want quality, and don't want to get something that will perform worse than my old fork (which I loved).

Thanks for any help you can provide me.

Edit: also, what things should I look for that may have coroded/worn out from sitting in a storage unit for 5 years? I think I checked everything out, but I'm not positive.

ride hard take risks
    Have you considered replacing the bike with a modern up to date model

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have considered it, but I can't bring myself to drop a couple grand to replace something that already works(mostly) And really, it does everything I need it to do. It is light, comfortable, and very functional. It doesn't have a lot of rear wheel travel, but it was always adequete in the past. At the time, it was a top of the line bike, and I have had no problems with it. To entirely replace it with something comparable would cost a lot more than to just fix the couple of things that are wrong with it.

ride hard take risks
    In order to update to a 9 speed you will need to replace the chain & cog. The adjusting nut might just need patients to rethread back in, it possibly is backed out to far. I once spent about 30 minute of frustration to get it back in. Fork depends on how much you want to spend.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...x+Tora+06.aspx
    You might want to upgrade the cables & housings also.