1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New to Mountain Biking- trying to tell if this is a good buy

Hi!

I've just moved to Knoxville, TN, am in need of a bike, and figured I'm now in a good spot to actually get into mountain biking. I've found a Marin Bobcat Trail (08/09) on craigslist and am trying to figure out if it's a good buy or a rip off. I've seen prices for varying years/models from 300 MSRP to 999 MSRP. Here's the link with all the specs (most of which are over my head at this point). Marin Bobcat Trail Mountain Bike Like New Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    "Perfect for someone 5'4 to 6'0."

Ok, so this is the first hit to this ad's credibility.

It looks like the seller is trying to price this reasonably, but it's not something I would recommend.

after a couple min, I found this to be 2005 version if that helps your research.

What is your budget?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Budget is 300. Perhaps a bit more for something of better quality. I'm entirely new to mountain biking, or riding with a decent bike for that part. I previously had a Schwinn cruiser I bought at target... it got me from point a to point b, but most things at this point will be an upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trek Gary Fisher x-cal 29er
    This is a good bike with good geo and an excellent dual air Reba fork.
    The price is fair and it will save you money as long as the drive train is in good shape.