1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New to mountain biking but 50 years experience riding. Dang I'm old

Well I did it, bought a Haro 29er and looking forward to riding off road. My wife and I have recumbent trikes and cruiser 2 wheelers for the paths and neighborhood. I wanted something a little more exciting so gonna give it a try. At 55 hope I don't break something. I've been reading as much as I can here to learn and this is my first post. So any advice for an old man is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    I didn't start MTB until age 47, and that was 16 years ago. Keep it fun, and you'll keep coming back. One thing you'll see time and time again in these forums is this - ride whatever suits you, however it suits you, just keep riding.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Check with you lbs for trails to ride. They may also do a group ride once a week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hi, you are never too old.
    Get a good helmet, gloves, get to know the locals and you will be in good company.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Welcome to the forum. Your 50 years cycling experience will stand you in good stead to take up mountain biking. With that sort of background 55 is not old at all. I'm sure you will love it. I'm 45 and just got back into it around Xmas this year and having a great time.

Enjoy!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by skewe View Post
    Hi, you are never too old.
    Get a good helmet, gloves, get to know the locals and you will be in good company.
    I am going to guess that with 50 years experience in riding, he may have some of that stuff laying around the house collecting dust.

I have heard many of stories of people starting mountain biking without any riding experience around your age. Even have a friend that started around there who was 325 lbs when he started 2 years ago. He is now 200 lbs and a pretty good cyclist.

That being said, I think you will be fine.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ran into an 'older' guy at the top of a local downhill.

Him: "Broke my collar bone six weeks ago. Gotta go down this to make sure everything's healed."

Me: "How's it feel?"

Him: "Oh, the collarbone's fine. Just making sure my balls are still intact."

He was 76 or 77.

It's all attitude: have fun man.

Rogue Exterminator
    lmao

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Green's Lick

Rogue Exterminator
    I am sure Greenslick has claimed many bones. It got close to claiming mine the first time I did it.

I didn't do it
    Welcome and you're never too old. And by the way you're not alone. Check out this thread and you may find that you'll fit right in (or maybe not ).

O.C. Age Poll