1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New Member, old rider.

Hey all. New to the forum here but riding since I was a kid (early 90's). Looking to get some ideas on cleaning up my old Trek 7000zx. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What do you mean "clean it up"?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Soap & water, maybe some Spray9 or something similar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Definitely do that since it's been sitting for some time. The grips have gone all gooey and the seat sucks. Swap those out along with a new stem to raise the handle bars along with reducing my head angle. New forks would be nice since these are basically shot. I haven't looked at this stuff in years so I will need to acclimate myself to the options out there on the used market fork wise. Thanks guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Member, old rider.-img_3314.jpg  

New Member, old rider.-img_3315.jpg  

New Member, old rider.-img_3316.jpg  

New Member, old rider.-img_3317.jpg  

New Member, old rider.-img_3310.jpg  

New Member, old rider.-img_3311.jpg  

mtbr member
    Welcome!!

Well, having had a mid-90s vintage bike myself to re-enter mountain biking. I would stick with just cleaning your drivetrain, adjusting your derailuers. Probably swap out shifter and brake cables and maybe pads. Clean your rim surface and check your tires.

Then go out and ride.

Before you go crazy upgrading/updating your bike, check Craigslist for a newer used bike.

I did the whole array of maintenance and upgrades and such. The only upgrade that was worth it was tires. Everything else got tossed out when I just picked up a new bike.

In the end, that'll be cheaper because you'll end up replacing so much...
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by traffic002 View Post
    Welcome!!

Well, having had a mid-90s vintage bike myself to re-enter mountain biking. I would stick with just cleaning your drivetrain, adjusting your derailuers. Probably swap out shifter and brake cables and maybe pads. Clean your rim surface and check your tires.

Then go out and ride.

Before you go crazy upgrading/updating your bike, check Craigslist for a newer used bike.

I did the whole array of maintenance and upgrades and such. The only upgrade that was worth it was tires. Everything else got tossed out when I just picked up a new bike.

In the end, that'll be cheaper because you'll end up replacing so much...
    Good point. I will hold off on the fork upgrade. I did get new tires recently that have 0 miles on them. I will get some new grips and clean things up like you said. Make sure everything is adjusted correctly before looking at any replacements. Really just looking forward to getting back out there and seeing how outta shape I am, lol! Will be fun to get back to where I was.