1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New Member NEEDS HELP PLEASE !

Hey Guys I am a new member on the site. I did some lurking but thought I should join and ask a few questions I have and check out everything on here! If I did post in the wrong thread I am very sorry and please move this to the proper thread. Thank you.
    Also I live in Las Vegas and the mountains are so close and there seems to be a bunch of trails around the area. I use to ride a lot of bmx and trails back home in Buffalo New York but that was years ago I have got the itch to ride again and am very intrigued and always wanted to ride some downhill. I have a few questions when it comes to sizing mountain bikes I see a lot are sized and with me being 6'6" what size should I be looking for? Any help or pointers would be great even with where to start when looking for a bike and what is a good starting point. Any help I am very grateful for!!!

Thanks again
    David

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Size really depends on the bike. I would narrow it down to a few bikes then ride each one and decide which fits better. 6'6" will limit your choices some, but there are a lot of choices out there.

26", 27.5" or 29" wheels? Hardtail or full suspension? XC or trail/AM? There are a lot of choices to make before you even really get to frame size.

I would start with wheel size. In your case it will most likely be 29". It just looks and feels more natural(speaking from experience), but it's all personal preference. Try the Clydesdale forum. Lots of good info there for taller folk.

I eat cats
    Figure out the type of riding you will be doing and get an idea of what type of bike you want to get that will suit your local trails and abilities (hard tail, fs, 29er, 26, etc.). Then go test ride some bikes to get an idea of what fits you. You will always hear that same advice when it comes to getting a properly fitted bike. Take your time too, you won't regret it. Welcome to the site!

mtbr member
    At 6'6" you will be looking at XL frame size.

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    At 6'6" you will be looking at XL frame size.
    Definitely an XL. I should have been clearer when I was talking about fit, an XL from brand 1 may feel like a better fit than an XL from brand 2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thank you guys for all the help and advice!! I appreciate all the help I can get!!!

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    At your height, an XL frame will be ideal. However the fit of the bike will depend on what you feel comfortable with. Every manufacturer makes their frames differently, so it's best to try out different bikes available in your area until you find a few that you feel comfortable on.

I'll be moving out to LV myself in a few months, so I already cannot wait to hit some of those trails.