1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New member just saying hello

Hello, new to this forum. I recently purchased a new bike, still rocking the 26", got a Cannondale SL2, still stock. I have raced mtn bikes before a long time ago (17 years ago) and did 1 single race in 2012 on a Cannondale FS7. I started back with an FS-7 because I wasn't sure how much I'd get back into it, then sold that and got the SL2.

This morning was a good ride, I did 8.2 miles in 48 minutes flat, which means my average was 10.3 mph, probably my best average yet. I'd like to get back into the competitive nature of the sport next spring. A few questions if anyone knows, where would be the best place to start the upgrades to this bike? I've always heard next to clipless pedals that wheels are the best upgrade. I'm 226 lbs, very lean. Bodybuilding is my main sport so would like something durable yet lightweight. The drivetrain on the bike is SRAM x5. Basically where should I start with this bike?
    I'd rather die like a tiger than live like a *****

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    226lb is a fatty in terms of this sport. you can kick ass in clydesdale group.

I'd race first, you'll get to see some other bikes and have a better idea of what you want.

then you can head in to weight weenie subforum and see the cheapest areas to shave weight off your bike.

check out strava, you can compare yourself to others times on different trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    226lb is a fatty in terms of this sport. you can kick ass in clydesdale group.

I'd race first, you'll get to see some other bikes and have a better idea of what you want.

then you can head in to weight weenie subforum and see the cheapest areas to shave weight off your bike.

check out strava, you can compare yourself to others times on different trails.

Yes, I'm sure that would be considered fat for most, but I'm single digit bodyfat, I've lifted weights half my life, and I have very good cardio output. I always thought the Clydesdales were just really tall guys who were beasts and still fast, are they mostly guys who are slower?
    I'd rather die like a tiger than live like a *****