Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Member Hello

605 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  GITerDUN 
#1 ·
Just wanted to say hello to all. I just got back into MTB after years with no bike at all. I used to race BMX as a kid but have not had a decent bike in 10 years. Just bought the Trek 6000 the other day to start off. Been riding trails here in Alabama for a couple of weeks and I am getting addicted. Still learning, and working out the kinks of the bike but so far it is adequate. Things have changed since my biking days...disc brakes, presta valves, etc. I have found out most of the stuff people on here have already discussed.

The adjustment on the Rockshox Dart 1 does jack squat.
At 6'2" and 210 lbs, I need to get the back tire up and OVER trees and curbs or my weight on the hardtail easily makes tires go POP.
The Saris Bones bike rack leaves a mark when you forget it is hanging of the back of the Durango.
Wear eye protection on the trails. Ouch.
I will soon try clipless pedals.

I already want another bike, a FS bike this time, as the hardtail climbs well but definately bucks on the roots that adorn my local trails.

Headed out for a ride, if there is anyone in lower Alabama who wants to hook up for a ride out at USA or Chickasabogue, give a shout.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Mike!

Welcome to the Forums. Sounds like you're having some fun, and learning along the way. As for the fork, it's not one of the more sophisticated offerings out there. At your weight, my guess is that you'll be longing for an upgrade soon. In the meantime, enjoy!

Bob

#4 ·
Welcome,

Congrats on the new bike. I too have purchased a Trek 6000 in the last few weeks. I too have found the bike to be adaquate for my uses. I haven't been out on the trails yet, but I've noticed that the Dart 1 that came with the bike seems a bit too soft for me. Just normal street riding in the neighborhood and on the side of the road. I've noticed that I forks depress about 1-3/4 to 2" when I just sit on the bike. The forks have traveled about 3-1/2" after fairly easy riding. I don't mean to be a thread jumper here, but seeing as this may be advice that can be well taken for a couple of people, what might you suggest for a upgrade to the Dart 1 besides a stiffer spring? I'm 6' 230lbs.

#5 ·
G'day Mate!

Congratulations on that decision. To all the sad, deprived souls deprived of mountain biking, don't be, and come to the forums! With the Trek 6000, you can upgrade a lot without having to worry if the frame can take it, unlike many other cheaper hardtails. I would recommend getting a stiffer spring for that Dart, and when it goes to bike part heaven, get a Rockshox Tora 302 coil w/U-Turn!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.