1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

New(to me) Full Suspension Help

I just purchased a used 2010 Giant Yukon FX that looks like it has a good number of miles on it. Are there any service manuals that I can download to get things like torque specs of various bolts on the bike? I want to check and adjust whatever I can (I am mechanically inclined though haven't worked much on a bike). One thing I did notice was a slight creaking from the front derailleur/crank area while pedaling. I know there is a new chain and looks like 2 replaced front chain rings...could this possibly cause the noise? Thanks!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Of course.

Start with the Giant web site.

Then visit the brand web sites for each component.

Creaks are a real pain to find and fix. Does it creak when you're standing? If so, it's probably the bottom bracket, but might also be the suspension linkage. If the creak goes away, you've probably just narrowed it down to the clamp on the top of the seat post, the clamp holding it in the frame, or the saddle rails.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Could be the pedals too.That'd be my first guess. Oil things 1 at a time to try and narrow it down. When you figure it out fix/titghten it. Could be loose chainring bolts, crank, bottom braket, susp pivot points.
    Good luck with your new bike.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    No oil on the brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'll try to find the creak tomorrow but have some more questions before I do.
    If the creak is coming from the bottom bracket, what would be the cure? Same with linkage....just grease linkage?
    I wasn't able to find any torque specs for the 2010 Yukon FX at Giant's website, so not sure what to do if I need to hunt down the creak. Thanks again!