1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New to MB's - odd sound

Hey guys, I've been riding the back trails for probably 1.5 years now on my Fantom 29er and it's developed an odd sound.

It's coming from the rear wheel area and I am pretty sure it is unrelated to the brake components. Sounds like a crank issue however I figured I'd post up to get some ideas before I tear into it and make it more of a mess.

Here's a video of it:
    http://tinypic.com/r/9aoc54/5

Not too experienced with bike maintenance in this sense, so if I can provide any other information please pet me know!

Thanks!

gonna place my bet on dry/worn bearings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    gonna place my bet on dry/worn bearings.
    That was exactly my guess(uneducated however)

After only 1.5 years? Probably only rode ~50 times.

Can I grease them to prolong the inevitable? Are they replaceable?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sixstroke View Post
    That was exactly my guess(uneducated however)

After only 1.5 years? Probably only rode ~50 times.

Can I grease them to prolong the inevitable? Are they replaceable?

Thanks!
    Depends who made the hub how you'll need to address it, and how long it's been like that. Knowing BD bikes, it's probably got pretty cheap hubs, which will probably require more frequent service (especially if you ride when wet, ride on winter roads, or use a power washer or pressurized sprayer on the area around the bearings to wash your bike).

If you're so mechanically inclined, I'd look up how to access the bearings (and learn whether they're loose ball bearings, or cartridge bearings) and what would be involved in greasing or replacing them. If you're not so mechanically inclined, I'd take it to a shop. Hub bearings do need periodic maintenance, or at least checkups.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Depends who made the hub how you'll need to address it, and how long it's been like that. Knowing BD bikes, it's probably got pretty cheap hubs, which will probably require more frequent service (especially if you ride when wet, ride on winter roads, or use a power washer or pressurized sprayer on the area around the bearings to wash your bike).

If you're so mechanically inclined, I'd look up how to access the bearings (and learn whether they're loose ball bearings, or cartridge bearings) and what would be involved in greasing or replacing them. If you're not so mechanically inclined, I'd take it to a shop. Hub bearings do need periodic maintenance, or at least checkups.
    Exactly what I was looking for- thank you Nate!

Just to be clear, just because I can discern the wheel model does not mean I'll have the hub model, correct?

Exactly what I was looking for- thank you Nate!

Just to be clear, just because I can discern the wheel model does not mean I'll have the hub model, correct?
    If you know the wheel model, it may help lead you to the hub make/model. Most manufacturers give separate rim/hub models if that kind of thing is available. Unless the rims/hubs are ONLY used on your specific wheelset (for example, for my 2005 Mavic CrossTrail wheels, Mavic only ever used one hub for them, so knowing the wheelset does tell me the hub). I know Formula makes a lot of the low end hubs you might find on OEM wheelsets, but no idea if that's what you'll find on your bike. The hub itself may or may not have mfr/model information printed on it.

And, even if you do disassemble the hub and find that it's not what's causing the noise, clean it and regrease it anyway (and then do the front, too). While you're in there, make sure you also clean/lube the freehub body and pawls. Phil's Tenacious Oil has worked well for me on that job in the past. Doing that will actually help you in the long run.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I found that the hubs are 'gravity sealed bearing disc with quick release,

Doesn't sound too inviting.

Here's the actual link:
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29Elite

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sounds like dry bearings to me as well. If you stay on top of it no big deal, let it go and ride it like that a while and you may have to replace a hub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The sealed wording makes me think that I don't have access to greasing them. Google isn't showing much..

Might have to contact the manufacture.

*edit* actually just found some links where people have worked on sealed discs.. do hopefully I've got a shot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    How many cogs on the rear. If it's seven you have a freewheel and you can get a new one-- you can't really service it. If 8 or more you have a freehub and you can disassemble it to clean and grease it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    How many cogs on the rear. If it's seven you have a freewheel and you can get a new one-- you can't really service it. If 8 or more you have a freehub and you can disassemble it to clean and grease it.
    Category says free wheel.
    Shimano DynaSYS SLX KCS-HG81-10 11-36t <- if that helps.

So it can't be repaired?

mtbr member
    There is precious little information out there on the sealed bearing gravity hubs that come on BD bikes. The limited chatter about them claims that they are made by Formula but stamped with the word Gravity.

I have them too but I have never serviced a hub and don't plan to make it my first time until its essential. If you do end up going at them with a cone wrench and pop them open for service, I for one would be interested in some pics and a writeup if you're up to it

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Category says free wheel.
    Shimano DynaSYS SLX KCS-HG81-10 11-36t <- if that helps.

So it can't be repaired?
    You can take the cassette off. email BD for info on disassembly of the hub and bearing size.