1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Ultra Newbie
    Mar 2007

New Kid on the Block

Hey guys what's up, my name's Brian....I've been lurking around here for awhile now but this is my first post. Yesterday was a big day for me, as after a month and a half of shopping and test rides I finally brought home my new baby.

Now, before you all get down on me on the bike, yes its just base model Hardrock. But, unfortunately, my funds aren't as much as I wish they were. I know you hear it all day long but its a nice bike and so far every second Ive been on it has been heaven. I've done two decently long rides and have loved every second of it!

So, here are some pics from today, finally found some mud and gave her a good ride. It's pictured with my buddy's ancient (and I do mean ancient) Pro Flex 856.

Pay no attention to the irony of the sign hanging behind my bike haha

Former Bike Wrench

... and if we just ... Welcome

Brian,
    Welcome to the wonderful sport of mountain biking. Unlike other forums on MTBR...you'll find very few, if any, people getting down on you for your bike choice in the beginner's forum. In fact, the Hardrock is an excellent entry level bike. It has a great amount of trickle down technology from higher end Specialized bikes of the past and is legendary for its durability.

Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Your bike is excelent. I have had my hardrcok comp disc for three years now. I have only had some minor maintenance problems so far. I actualy like the fit and geometry of the bike so much i am just rebuilding it. Here is the future rig on an 04 hardrock comp frame:
    -xt 761 front/rear drlrs
    -lx crank
    -shimano mega range 34 tooth caset
    -Avid Ball Bearing Seven Disc Brake '06
    -Shimano Alivio ST-MC20 8SP Shifter/Bl
    -:Easton EA70 MTN Seatpost '07
    - FSA OS-150/ 90 Degree Stem
    -Rock Shox Tora 318 Coil U-Turn Fork '07
    - Shimano XT Disc/Rhyno Lite XL Wheelset
    -FSA xc 190 handle bars.

gunna be sweet. if anyone has any sugestions I would appreciate it. I still consider myself a nub at this sport.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have an 02 Hardrock that I still ride. I replaced the fork and plan on upgrading the components as time and money allow. I know by the time I'm done upgrading I can get a "better" bike for a little bit more money but I like the bike.

Freshly Fujified

Hello Brian

Welcome to the forums. You bought a very nice bike to get into the sport with. Very sturdy frame, and a good reputation. Ride it in good health!

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

MTB Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by brattbrian
    So, here are some pics from today, finally found some mud and gave her a good ride. It's pictured with my buddy's ancient Pro Flex 856.
    My brother has a Pro Flex. Simmilar to your buddies. It is ancient, but it still works. He got it for somewhere in the range of $200 like 6 years ago. Bought it used off a friend.

mtbr member
    The Hardrock is a great ride and should give you years of fun filled service.

Ride hard!

...the wave won't brek
    Enjoy the Hardrock there is not much that bike won't take. They have a reputation for being Bomb proof.

Keep your wits about you and you should enjoy many satisfying and safe rides.
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double