1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Smile New on here, and new on Mountain Biking

Hello - good day to you all!

I have been riding (borrowing my cousin's) SGM - it's really cheap, and a bit fair on riding, considering I've ridden better MTBs. With all these fun adventures, I decided to go serious on MTBing.

I'm a starter on MTBing, and I'd like some inputs on whether this frame is a fake or not: Bnew Specialized S-Works Mountain Bike Philippines - 14392873

They're a local seller, where I'm from - and as far as I can see, it looks good (and sadly, I can't spot if it's fake or not). They sell them for really cheap - and I would only guess why they're cheap (besides from the frame that would be "original") is because the parts are cheap or generic.

Also, if ever that this is a no-no - what about this one: Sale...Bnew Gt Avalanche 3.0 Mountain Bike Philippines - 13467354

If both are no-good, I'd really appreciate advice on where to buy - I'm from Philippines, Manila.

Again, just starting - I would really love some advice on maintaining and fixing my bike whenever I need to do so.

Thanks for your inputs!

Hi There!
    I don't know what companies sell overseas compared to here in the U.S. but that specialized looks fake to me, the gt looks a little less fake.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    I ride with a lot of Filipino guys and I am a aware that the mountain biking scene is really growing over there. See if you can find some local guys to hook up with and maybe get some advice on some reputable shops to purchase from. I would stay far away from who ever is selling that specialized. You can also find some info in the PI forum. Here's some shops listed in your area.

Manila:
    cycle art
    kings
    g c cyclist

Quezon City:
    Bike One - They have everything under one roof. Prices are also good.
    Extreme - Mixed reviews on this shop.
    Knobbies -

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Will check them out! Thanks so much! ^_^