1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New here and back on a bicycle after a few years of riding motorcycles.

Hey guys, I'm new here and just got back to riding bycicles. I just purchased a 2014 Specialzed Hardrock Disc 29 (XL). I live in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and the terrain here is pretty much all trails for us that ride here. I read the reviews on this bike and saw that the common downside are the factory tires and pedals. I would like your opinion on what other common upgrades would you suggest to do with this bike. I would really want 27 speeds instead of the factory 24, so what cassette, derailleurs, speed shifters would you recommend? I'm not a pro but more of a intermediate rider and slowly, as time goes by and I ride more, I would like to upgrade to something like a stump jumper or similar. If you need my personal info for these upgrades, im 6'4", 225 lbs. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Its hard to know what the terrain you are riding consists of. If I bought that bike, I would replace:
    the grips with something I like
    possibly the saddle
    better brakes(you can only go as fast as you can slow down)
    tires(depending on terrain)
    Fork (depending on terrain)

You dont necessarily need more gears because it might not give you any more ratios.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wear stuff out,get your moneys worth. To upgrade to 9 speed will cost $$$.Even finding the parts might be hard.I had to replace my shifters on my 9 speed road bike (ultegra) they were $340.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Don't waste your money 'upgrading' the entire drivetrain for a couple more clicks; the idea that more gears is better is about 98% marketing hype. As stated above, the number of gears matters much less than the range those gears cover. Most people who've been riding a while will find 4 or 5 favorite gear combinations that they end up using for just about everything.

If you find you need a lower lowest gear, you can likely just change out the cassette to one with a larger low gear (30t to 32t, for example).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thank of for the replies. I will take that advice of wearing things out and I guess I will change things out as I need them. Hope you all wont mind me asking more questions soon.