1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: new here!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

new here!

hey whats going on guys? my friends and i are just getting into this hobby and know very little about bikes. i just joined the forum and been reading and still i hav to learn a lot of things.. right now im in search for a bike and saw one in craigslist. the bike is 7point DW-Link IronHorse. my question is, can i use this for DH? since thats where we are trying to get into. also is this a good bike to start off? thanks in advance

-peter

T.W.O.
    Are you getting in to Downhill riding? Yes you can use it for DH. Most people start with trail riding and XC, DH is more on the extreme side. Unless you are talking about riding down the hill.

You may want to start with 5" full suspension bike. Again not knowing what skill set you have I'm just giving a general advice. DH bikes are heavier, much heavier than other types of mtb and usually a single purpose bike which is DH.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    thanks man, yea i wana get in to DH riding. i rode bmx and mountain bikes but nothing crazy just small jumps and easy trails.

heres the specs of the bike and hes selling it for $700

Name: Iron Horse 7 Point Dw-Link (virtual pivot point, 1 piece rear triangle)
    Rear Shock: Xfusion Vector HLR triple adjustable with 350lb spring
    Linkages: F7 with Enduro Roller bearings
    Forks: Marzocchi 55TST2
    Headset: e.Thirteen
    Bars: Truvativ Hussefelt
    Stem: 70mm connect
    Grips: Ergon GP1
    Seat: Spank Freeride Saddle
    Pedals: forte flat pedals, I also have the original clipless available if you prefer (i still have the brand new clipless pedals that came on the bike, never used)
    Bottom Bracket/ Cranks: SRAM Truvativ OCT
    Chainring: RaceFace 36T
    Brakes: AVID BB7
    Front Mech Derailleur: Shimano SLX

Purchased new and recently installed by my LBS (last winter)
    Rear Mech Derailleur: SRAM X-9
    Cassette: Sram PG-990 11-34
    Chain: Sram PC-991
    Seat Post: RaceFace Turbine
    New Avid Brake Rotors

Front Wheel:
    Rim: DT Swiss E540
    Hub: Alloy Sealed Bearing 110mm X 20mm
    Tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.35 DTC for XC OR maxxis ardent 2.5 for DH

Back Wheel:
    Rim: DT Swiss E540
    Hub: Alloy Sealed Bearing 150mm X 12mm
    Tire: Maxxis Minion 2.35 for XC OR maxxis 2.5 for DH

T.W.O.
    Yeah sure, it would be a good fun bike. It weights half a ton but who cares if you are descending. It's not going to be a fun bike if you have to climb and not as versatile "one" bike to have but if you want to do DH, it's not bad. Since it's a gravity oriented bike that usually takes repeated abuse, you should check for any sign of wear and tear, as well as cracks and dents. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ok thanks again, i appreciate it!