1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New here

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New here

Hey all, my name's Jon and I'm from central CT. After 15 years of department store bikes I finally got my first "real" mountain bike as a early graduation present for myself, a 2009 Specialized Hardrock. I look forward to learning more and meeting new people! Jon R

local jackass
    congrats on the new bike and good pick on the Specialized i have a few of them. The one thing you may want to do is look into a front fork upgrade as the stock suntour is garbage imo but welcome to mtbr and go get it dirt its way to clean

EDIT: loose both the kick stand and reflectors they are useless in the woods lol
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    welcome, its fun as hell. ive only been at it since this past summer and ive already upgraded to a new bike.
    i might as well say it before anyone else... lose the kickstand, theres some serious kickstand horror stories in regards to accidents on the trails with them.
    thats all id suggest for now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I never thought about the kickstand being an issue but you guys have a good point. I'm going to keep the fork for now because it's still 1000X better than what I'm used to (crappy mongoose or none at all). A question for you guys, my tires say inflate 30-80PSI, If I'm doing paved trails and some trap rock/dirt, whats a good pressure to keep them at?

mtbr member
    I run my tires at about 45-50 psi but I am a big guy so I want to make sure I am not going to get a pinch flats plus if I go much lower than that my tires start feeling squirrelly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Roussjp
    base on that picture i'm guessing you like the yellow color lose the kick stand and the wheel reflectors. Congrats and Welcome.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, I was thinking around 50ish, I'm not exactly a small guy myself, part of the reason I'm getting into biking again. And yeah i like yellow, it's very hard to loose my escape in a parking lot, and its just as hard to loose my bike in the woods (not that I'd want to)