1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New here

mtbr member
    May 2007

New here

hey everyone. I'm 20 years old and looking to lose some weight, so i'm gonna start mountain biking. I plan to ride on both bike paths and trails 50/50... The bike i want to get is the trek 6000. I'm 5'9" and i think i need a 19.5" frame. Is this the right size for me? i wear a 32 length pants. the smaller frame for the 6000 is 17.5 and i think that will be to small for me..?

I also want the 6000 in the orange/black, but i've called a bunch of bike stores around the NYC area and all i've found is the brushed aluminum. I think i'm gonna have to stick to the aluminum color since the trek warehouse has no 6000's in stock.

i appreciate all tips and info, i'll be buying my bike tomorrow

Former Bike Wrench
    At 5'9", you should really look at the 17.5". I'm 6' with short legs (I also wear 32 length pants) and standover on a 19.5 is a tad less than I would prefer. However, it is best to fit the top tube length not the seattube length. So with my 3" more torso than you, I run a 19.5" frame.

mtbr member
    I'm also 5'9 and find a 17in frame to fit perfectly. You should go to your LBS and test ride a few bikes and see what size your most comfortable on. Its very important that your bike fits you well.

local trails rider
    Looking at the Trek geometry numbers, I think the 17.5" frame should be close. The 19.5" is too long and the 15.5" is too short.

Do test ride some other bikes too. And don't worry too much about the seat tube based size numbering. Get a bike that is a good length for you.

I post too much.
    Top tube length is what really matters, I still don't understand why companies use seat tube length to size their bikes...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    now i'm a little confused. i guess i'll have to find a place with a 17.5 and test ride it.

just to add this in, when i stand over the 19.5" i have a about an inch and a half to two inches of clearance.

Former Bike Wrench

3-4" is ideal

Quote Originally Posted by xmx250
    now i'm a little confused. i guess i'll have to find a place with a 17.5 and test ride it.

just to add this in, when i stand over the 19.5" i have a about an inch and a half to two inches of clearance.
    As mentioned before, top tube length is the more important measurement. That said, it is nice to have 3"-4" of standover as the ground will often not be level when you have to put your feet down. Your a young man, it would be a shame if you sterilized yourself because you purchased a frame that was too big!

mtbr member
    Do this. And go to a proper bike shop that will fit you and make sure the bike fits.
    :wq

mtbr member
    May 2007
    alright, i'm heading out now.

its just that the 6000 is mostly out of stock everywhere right now, so i feel like the bike shops will push a certain frame size just to make the sale. The first place i'm gonna stop is the one with a 17.5" if they say it fits its gonna be wierd because two days ago i had a bike shop tell me the 19.5 fits........

local trails rider
    I am just slightly taller than you and I would definitely take Trek's Medium frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    I am just slightly taller than you and I would definitely take Trek's Medium frame
    It doesn't matter what you would ride. It's all about how his height is distributed and what he is comfortable on.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I bought the 19.5 rode it around my block for one afternoon then went back to the bike store and switched to the 17.5. I feel much better on the 17.5.

I also went for like a 15 mile bike path ride today and i'm tired as hell, lol

mtbr member
    I'm glad you test-rode both and found something that is comfortable for you

local trails rider
    I feel much better on the 17.5.
    I thought you might, but could not be sure. Giving the bike a good test ride is the best way to confirm that it fits, unless you already know what you like and are familiar with all sorts of geometry mumbo jumbo.

Now, go out and ride it more. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    As mentioned before, top tube length is the more important measurement. That said, it is nice to have 3"-4" of standover as the ground will often not be level when you have to put your feet down. Your a young man, it would be a shame if you sterilized yourself because you purchased a frame that was too big!
    Yes the hight of the top tube is important but you don't want to go too small if you are hoing to be 50/50 trails and pavement, if the frame is too short you could be cramped on longer rides.
    I found that different companies frames are not all the same size wise. I'm 5'11 and my new GT i-Drive is a small frame, usually I am a large or 19" with other companies.

Best advice is go to a local shop and try out different sizes.