1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

New Headset Advice

I'm going to the LBS to get a new headset installed today. They have a few in stock. When choosing one, what should I look for? This will be for my single speed that I typically use mostly for cummuting and riding on multi use paths. It will see dirt from time to time. I also want to keep the cost down as well if I can.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Have no idea what type you need since you didn't mention your make, model, and year of bike.

That said, you can't go wrong with Cane Creek, even their "10" economy line is quite durable.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    You first need to narrow down the size and then the style. What's the diameter of the headtube? 1", 1-1/8", tapered, etc. Then figure out if it's meant to take an integrated headset (one that sits flush inside the headtube) or not.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Have no idea what type you need since you didn't mention your make, model, and year of bike.

That said, you can't go wrong with Cane Creek, even their "10" economy line is quite durable.
    Sorry -- The headset will go on an old 1990's vintage GT bike frame. Fork steer tube is 1 1/8th inch. I just had the frame powder coated and am starting to put it back together.

Do you need any more information?

The bike came with non-sealed ball bearings type of headset. The cups were badly pitted and the grease had all kinds of metal shavings in it when I attempted to clean and re-back them.

I figured I since I cleaned up my frame and got a new fork, it was time for a new headset.

I will see if they have the Cane Creek brand in stock and go that dirrection.

Merendon Junkie

I agree, except with regards to the "10" line. In my experience it is uber crap as the top cup is plastic and prone to cracking and breaking at the lip. This happened to me with the 10 that came shipped with my salsa el mariachi and I have read about several people that have had a similiar experience. I replaced it with a 40 that has worked beautifully.

Cheers
    Abel

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How about a slightly used Chris King and bring that into the LBS to have installed? I think I sold my last one for $60ish. Not sure if that's out of budget, but I don't know of too many people ditching their CK's for something else. I had to sell mine only because I couldn't use it with the next frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    I agree, except with regards to the "10" line. In my experience it is uber crap as the top cup is plastic and prone to cracking and breaking at the lip. This happened to me with the 10 that came shipped with my salsa el mariachi and I have read about several people that have had a similiar experience. I replaced it with a 40 that has worked beautifully.

Cheers
    Abel
    Must be an OEM of some sort, because the aftermarket "10" has an alloy top cup and cover.

Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Just go with what they recommend at the shop...a headset for a bike like you are describing doesn't need to be fancy, any basic $30 one will do. Agree that a basic Cane Creek is a good choice.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    They had 2 to choose from for my bike. The Cane Creek 10 and a King at well over 3 times the price. For that bike I went with the Cane Creek 10. All installed and my new/old bike is almost put together and looking sweet! Now if I could only figure out my darn front brake problem, but thats in a different thread and post......

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Merendon Junkie
    Must be an OEM of some sort, because the aftermarket "10" has an alloy top cup and cover.

Wow! Im surprised they decided to crap out their product line on some OEM offerings.
    This is a thread where the problem with the CC10s (aparrently oem) is discussed.

Headset from hell

Abel F.

Merendon Junkie
    I looked further, it appears that only the 44mm 10 series has the plastic part. Not only the oem offerings as the one sold in amazon also comes like that. No idea on why they decided plastic was a good idea for the 44mm headset. It has a "Lightweight polymer crown race" as per the amazon description goes. Its hilarious how the attemp to BS that plastic cheap part in their product line.

Abel F
    Attached Images Attached Images  

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Finished Product: