1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

New Headset for 98 GF Big Sur?

I need a new headset to replace the stock one on my 98 Big Sur,any suggestions?My budget is around $50,I should be able to get a decent set for that I think.

Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Cane Creek and FSA both make nice headsets. you should have no problem finding something for $50.

do you know if your headset is 1 1/8" or 1"? threaded or non-threaded?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It would need to be 1 1/8" and non-threaded.I know those are good headsets and I saw a RaceFace one I liked for about $50,but I'm new and just want to make sure I get the right one.Are they pretty much standard then as long as you get the right size?

Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    so what's wrong with the one on there?

Seems you really like dumping money in that bike...not that there's anything wrong with that. I sure got big fun out of upgrading the heck out of my bike. Make sure your stack height will still fit your fork & stem.

I went with a Cane Creek S3. Cartridge bearings and lightweight. $30 @ JensonUSA

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's old and just today the rubber washer on the bottom wore out.I am dumping a lot into it,but I really like the frame and by the time I'm done I really don't think I could get a bike with the same components for as little as I'm putting into it,besides it's too nice a frame to have generic parts.And yes,it's fun for me also.

I'm only able to do this because I'm selling off stuff from my other hobbies that I don't use or hardly use anymore so it has had little impact on the family finances otherwise my wife has the final say in these matters and it wouldn't be happening that's for sure.

That's a nice deal on the S3,I'll take a look at it and thanks for the help guys.

Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Be advised removing and installing a head set requires some specialty tools, or lots of ingenuity.

I use a long aluminum rod and a ball peen hammer to rermove the old cups. I have a long piece (12" or so) of 1/2-13 threaded rod, 2 washers & nuts to install the new cups. Be sure that the washers only contact the flats on the bottom of the new cups, or you can & will damage them.

I bought a low-end bike. I replaced everything, including the frame! I them put the original low-end bike back together, and now my Son's Bud is going to buy it. Anyways, this sure wasn't the most economical way to go about it. I do have myself a nice hardtail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah I don't know if I'm even going to try,the local Ski Hut will do it for $15.

I'm not sure I'm ever going to replace the frame,but if for some reason I do at least I'll have some decent components to put on it.It would have to be a really nice frame or mine would have to break for that to happen though.

I ended up getting a Race Face Deus XC for $49.95 and free shipping.

Chris