1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New Headset

mtbr member
    May 2011

New Headset

I have a generic Cane Creek zero stack headset on my Scott Aspect 55 and was wondering if it is worth it to upgrade the headset? Not sure what they really do or if it will improve anything. I thought that if I did not get a new headset, I would use the money for a 50mm stem of some sort. Right now I am rocking the Chromag OSX bars at 780mm uncut.

Please let me know your thoughts.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You really will not be able to feel much, if any, difference with a new headset. The biggest benefit to the upgraded headsets you are taking about is longevity of the bearings. The money would be better spent on a new stem. Replace the headset when the bearings go bad.