1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

New Guy - Searching for the right bike

Hi All

I am searching for the best bike for me and I am getting a bit confused.

I need a Mountain, looking at a Hardtail with Discs. Comfy sadle. However I will be using it to commute 2 days a week to work, so have considered hybrids.

Can anyone help me find the right bike? Or give me some advice?

I have done research. Found the VooDoo Bizango, meant to be an excellent bike but advised its a cheap frame?
    Ive also been advised the Specialized Hard rock Sport disc would be a good bike for me?
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    Although heard alot of reviews on older pre 2014 models that Front forks are not very good.

Help?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I would say the Specialized would be a great bike, I never had problems with my front fork.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    In this price range ($300-500),none of the forks will be very good. Basic spring coil forks with no hydraulic damping. FYI, mechanical lockout forks aren't worth the extra price, just get the basic fork. I'm a litle biased, so I suggest getting the mountain bike over the hybrid bike. Basically they are the same, but you'll get better longevity out of the mountain bike, longer travel fork, and the frame will have clearance for larger tires. You can always put small tires on a frame that can take large tires, but not the other way around.

Have you considered used?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I am looking at spending 500+

The Voodoo came up at 600 with fantastic reviews which is why it seemed to be really good.

This is interesting, the Specialized is a 29er, so this is similar to the Voodoo for clearance?

I am open to any bike in the price range, I am just looking to get the best for my money.

I can get a brand new bike on a cycle to work scheme here which gives me a fantastic deal, which is why I am looking at brand new.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Have you went to any shops and test rode any bikes? Fit is the most important thing ,bikes in a price range are all about the same.What kind of trails might you ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I am going to go bike shopping soon and test them out.

Just trying to determine what kind of bike I can get for the money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Check the "cycle to work" plan's limitations. If they cap out a price, go for that price or a little higher. If they go for a percentage, get the best bike you can afford.

Assuming it has to be new, and probably from a local source, you should be able to get a semi-decent starter hardtail for $250 up to $500. The difference between a $500 bike and a $1,000 bike is amazing, unfortunately the bikes that are inbetween sometimes don't measure up to the increase in price. I'd recommend a 29er mountain bike because they're good for mountain biking, and the wheel size corresponds to the 700c road tires, so you'll have plenty of hybrid tires you can choose from. Make sure it has disc brakes, and a 8-speed out back. An 8-speed cassette can be easily upgraded to more gears as time goes by. The cheaper 7-speed cannot.

Is the money amount you listed above just for the bike, or can it be for bike plus equipment? What stores are you able to get bikes from? (links)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm surprised it hasn't been asked yet...but do you plan on getting into mountain biking at all? If not, buying a mountain bike might not be the best bet for you. If you're strictly commuting, a hybrid with a rigid fork and disc brakes would be lighter and more efficient for what you'd be doing.

However, if you think you might get into mountain biking in the future, getting the best bike you can afford with the cycle to work plan is a great idea. Getting a hardtail 29er and a spare set of hybrid-ish tires is the better option, but airing the mountain tires up to 50-60psi would be fine too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    VooDoo Bizango-
    That is a good solid bike with a good almost maintenance free Raidon air fork. 120mm of travel will take you most places for good skill development.
    Commuting will be fine, but even better with a dedicated set of wheels with road oriented tires. I would setup the oem wheels with commuter tires and upgrade to a lighter wheelset with light tires for trail riding.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Don't rule out road bikes. If you haven't ridden regularly in a while, they can feel disconcerting. But they evolved that way for a reason.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    have you looked at any 2013 bikes? I had a $1000 budget and found all kinds of bikes out there that are leftovers. They are anywhere from $200-#500 off! Also finding high dollar bikes on clearance. An Idea!