1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New guy--ordered bike from LBS but found better deal on CL for higher model--WWYD??

Well...I reaaaaally wanted to get a Talon 0, because that was going to have the better parts on it that I knew I wouldn't need to replace for a good while. Ended up though having the shop order a Talon 2 on their recommendation (I did research and found that the ratings were equal.) Starting to regret it now after reading up more on each respective bike. I'd rather worry about pedals and seats than a crappy fork setup.

That said...the bike came into the LBS this morning and they were going to build it up for me for pickup tomorrow. I found on CL just NOW, a 3 month old Talon 0...the guy only rode it like 2x. He already upgraded the seat and the pedals as well...and he's selling it for less money than I'm paying for the 2014 Talon 2.

So now I'm stuck because while I haven't paid anything to the LBS for the special order, I did agree to have them order it. It would be a pretty dick move to reneg' at this juncture wouldn't it? Or would it be something as simple as them putting it out on the sales floor since they're low on stock anyway (they've not stocked up on 14' models yet).

I want to build a relationship with the shop, they're good guys, but I also like a good deal...and getting a like-new talon zero for less money than a new talon 2 seems to be a better deal to me.

What would you guys do?

--------

And as far as general info goes...looking forward to learning a lot more about this stuff as time passes. Right now I'm just trying to read up on everything before I go asking questions about things that get asked all the time. But if anyone wants to give any pre-emtpive words of wisdom I'm all for it. Thanks!

-Tim

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Whats prices are the bikes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    2013 Talon 0 = $850
    2014 Talon 2 = $875

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    well the 2013 is a 26 and the 2014 is a 27.5
    I'm sure either way your LBS will sell the bike you had ordered. I don't feel like googling but how drastic are component upgrade from the two bikes?

I'm sure if you buy from the shop they would help you some type of free adjusments (tuning) for a certain amount of time (some shops are lifetime) which is good if you don't know what you're doing on a bike, of course you will learn, but won't learn if you just take it to the shop everytime.

I myself would go for the better deal/better spec. I like some of the shops close to me, but their customer service is shitty. The shop I used to live close to was awesome and had amazing customer service and I didn't mind spending the extra money over going online or another shop. They got a lot of my buisness due to their CS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ask them if they can reduce or give you a price break.
    What the CL dude cant offer is the service post sale...

mtbr member
    I believe the 2014 Talon 2 has 29 inch wheels.

Happy Trails

New guy--ordered bike from LBS but found better deal on CL for higher model--WW

I'd keep what I ordered. Warranty, big wheels, LBS support. Easy decision.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott In MD View Post
    I'd keep what I ordered. Warranty, big wheels, LBS support. Easy decision.
    plus manners.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ^ Indeed. That's for keeping me straight fellas. I wanted foremost to gain the relationship with the shop. Here are the specs for the Talon 2 (29er). Is there anything on the parts that you outright would replace straight away? The forks are supposedly "trash" according to this site. But would I even notice?

Frame ALUXX-grade aluminum
    Fork SR Suntour XCM HLO, w/lockout, 100mm travel
    Shock N/A

COMPONENTS

Handlebar Giant Sport, low rise, 31.8mm
    Stem Giant Sport
    Seatpost Giant Sport, 30.9mm
    Saddle Giant Connect, Upright
    Pedals Alloy MTB w/toe strap

DRIVETRAIN

Shifters Shimano Acera, Rapid Fire
    Front Derailleur Shimano Alivio
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Alivio
    Brakes Tektro HDC300, hydraulic disc, 160mm
    Brake Levers Tektro HDC300
    Cassette Shimano HG20 11x34, 9-speed
    Chain KMC X9
    Crankset Shimano Acera, 22/32/44
    Bottom Bracket Shimano sealed

WHEELS

Rims Giant Alloy, double wall
    Hubs Giant Tracker Sport, 32h
    Spokes Stainless Steel, 14g
    Tires Schwalbe Rapid Rob, 29x2.25

AZ
    banned
    The only thing a man has that means anything is his word.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Not enough of a difference to change now imo.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky916 View Post
    well the 2013 is a 26 and the 2014 is a 27.5
    The '13 is a 29er.

Go with the one from the LBS. You can always upgrade your fork for a decent price. And you don't want egg on your face when you take your CL bike in there to get fixed/tuned.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Stay on target...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just bought a 2013 Talon 1 which is basically the same bike you're getting. If you figure out how to lock out the front end while riding, let me know. It works fine when I'm off the bike and no load on the forks, but won't lock out while I'm on the bike and the forks are sagging a little. I guess I could always do a wheelie and reach down at the same time?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    youll probably be much happer with 29" wheels, they are alot of fun

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Honor your word/commitment and don't look back. If you like riding this won't be your last bike and you will probably be more patient before pulling the trigger and get exactly what you want. Stop second guessing yourself.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I picked up the one I ordered guys. It wasn't a fast decision, the only reason I second guessed is because a deal came up on a bike with better pieces on it.

I also picked up a **** ton of accessories that I didn't realize would add up to so much. A helmet, mini tool, underseat bag, mini pump, and a couple of 29" tubes. I also had them put in some tube liners as well to protect against flats. I have to go back now though and pick up a gauge because the valves I have don't work with regular gauges and pumps.

Also ordered a camelbak on sale, and some clip-in pedals and some shoes on sale (online). So I think I'll be set for a while.

Anything else I'm forgetting as far as essentials?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Wow buddy, you sure drop a lot of money. I think the underseat bag is over rated. It was the first thing other than a helmet I bought when I first got the Cannondale F4 in 2010

Things you want to consider
    -ESSENTIAL - GLOVES
    I have high praises for Fox gloves.
    Actually, I bought the Fox Digit and have 2pairs extra, plus a Dirtpaw. all unused.

-GOOD TO HAVE - HELICOPTER TAPE
    If you are giving me the WtF stare , I found out from MTBR too that this is great to have. I would get it and put it on the downtube, the chainstay. It prevents rocks from hitting the frame and taking off the paint.
    I also use this around the frame where the cables rub with the frame. No cable rub. And glad to say that I don't have any paint chips on the downtube, and I do have a few knicks on the chain stay, not because I did not put any tape on it but I took a spill and hit some rocks.

Welcome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am not sure what rims or tires you run, but if you are looking for some reliable inflated tires - go naked >> go tubeless.

Stans No tubes is what I would suggest. I used to ride in Texas and pushing the bike out for 5 miles was no fun.

Used to hit the 'goat head' torns, or cactus. Yes, I did the green slime in the inner tube and the slime even leaked out through the inner tube and tire casing.

You will be surprised on the inner tubes I have at home, and the patches I have done to it.

Once I did the Stans, I have not have to worry about a flat, etc. Keeping fingers crossed as I plan to do a 42 miles tomorrow

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    if you dont have experience i would suggest not going to clipless pedals right away

get good platform pedals and shoes

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the tips. I'm looking to get some padded shorts and a top...maybe a couple pairs. Is there a place online that folks go to to get deals? The apparel is super fricken expensive...but if I wear regular shirts/shorts they'll be soaked through in a few minutes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    competitive cyclist usually has good sales
    if you look around locally youll be able to find padded shorts on sale i guess it depends on how big of a town you live in

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If you don't wanna drop a lot of money on full shorts, I'd recommend just getting a few pairs of padded boxers or briefs or boxerbriefs depending on what your into. In my experience they've been about 1/2 price of the common shorts. A floor pump would also be a wise investment as using a hand pump on a regular basis becomes a real pain. And good shoes with flat pedals would be good as well. I just picked up some Five Ten Impacts and they make a world of difference for pedaling efficiency, control, and safety. Not to mention they're really comfortable. Oh and kneepads too, depending on the terrain. Safety gear can add up quick, but it's the best investment IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    the shorts are a good suggestion. I had good luck finding it off Amazon as competitive cyclist/backcountry does maintain a store on there

What could go wrong ...
    Aero Tech Designs | Cycling Clothes | Bike Shorts | Bib Shorts | Biking Jerseys has a good selection on shorts and jerseys and good prices
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast