mtbr member
    Oct 2014

New guy, New bike!

whats up guys! new to the forum, new to mountain biking.. been looking around at different bikes for a while and was going to buy the new kona precept DL since it was a entry level bike.. then i found a 2008 yeti asx on craigslist that i was going to check out even though i read about the triangle cracking issues it had, figured i wouldnt be doing anything crazy enough to do any damage any time soon.. but still doing research i saw that a bike website was selling their demo bikes, i didnt know bike shops did this then remembered that the local bike shop here in corona B-rads bike shop had a couple nice 2013 kona processes as the demo bikes, called them up they said they would sell and are flexable on the price.. i motored on down there and walked out with a new (to me) 2013 kona process! i couldnt be happier! totally happy i go this over the precept lol.. the process is in awesome shape i think they said they only rented it out like 20-30 times maybe. has some minor scratches but nothing major or noticeable.. cant wait to take it on some trails! took it to my buddies and did some urban riding to test it out.. bombed some stairs to get the feel of it lol.. anyway heres a pic of my new bike and a pic of my kona and buddies nomad gettin to know each other

New guy, New bike!-img_0103%5B1%5D.jpgNew guy, New bike!-img_0100%5B1%5D.jpgsome of the parts it has are lyric rockshox front forks, sram cranks, kronolog seat post extender, elixr 5 brakes and calipers, tubeless rims and x9 chainstay i believe

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Nice bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks man! im stoked on it def happy i went with the process for sure.. i gotta get used to these mtn bike seats lol they are not the most forgiving seats, or maybe find one with a tad more padding cause my rear end dont have much built in padding lol

mtbr member
    I really like my WTB Rocket, but it's really personal preference. I think WTB makes good saddles but just go into your LBS and see what feels good. The stock saddles on a lot of bikes aren't very comfortable.

Fat-tired Roadie
    If I had three mountain bikes, one would probably be a Process. Enjoy it.

Give it another couple weeks and some more experimentation with setup before you get a different saddle. It takes some acclimation.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    ya thats what i was kinda thinking to.. my butt needs to get used to it.. my thighs do to lol feelin the burn! plus this is the first bike ive pretty much been on in years minus dirt bikes but those dont really count lol.. i figure a few weeks of riding up and down the hills around here will teach my legs to be stronger and not gas out as quickly.. you def dont realize how outta shape you are until u get on a bike and go up hills haha

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I can definitely relate to the saddle pain. I switched from a dirtbike and hated the seat my bike came with. I researched my ass off and found nothing but glowing reviews for the WTB speed v comp. Couldn't be happier. Before I would only be able to stand riding 15 to 20 miles at a time. Now I'm doing 30 miles two days in a row. Welcome to the mtb scene.

mtbr member
    Great bike you'll enjoy it!

mtbr member

New guy, New bike!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbtundra View Post
    I can definitely relate to the saddle pain. I switched from a dirtbike and hated the seat my bike came with. I researched my ass off and found nothing but glowing reviews for the WTB speed v comp. Couldn't be happier. Before I would only be able to stand riding 15 to 20 miles at a time. Now I'm doing 30 miles two days in a row. Welcome to the mtb scene.
    Agreed.. Still, you might get used to the current one. It usually takes new guys in the MTB club at my school 2-3 weeks to get in the groove and not be sore after rides anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BR101 View Post
    Nice bike!
    Yep,nice bike.I like it

mtbr member
    One of my local shops does a saddle program, you pay $75 and can try any number of saddle for up to a month at a time for each. When you finnaly find one you and your sore rear end likes, they apply the $75 bones to the cost of the saddle.... it is win -win and more shops should offer this level of service.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    thanks guys! been having fun on this bike gettin used to it every day.. doest feel as big as it did the first day and the seat is feeling better.. havent got to take it to any trails yet.. kinda waiting for my bro in law and father in law to get their bikes.. just been riding up and down the dirt roads/hills by the house, but every day those hills get easier and easier.. i forgot about my seat post riser and wasnt using it.. used it today for the first time and it def makes it a lot easier.. less stress on the legs.. i think i might need more air in the rear shock though.. but other then that its all been fun! hard to get used to preloading the suspension to jump.. i keep forgetting and end up trying to pull up like u would on a bmx lol

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Definitely mess with the suspension and get it set up right for you - makes a huge difference.

As far as adjusting from BMX, you've kinda gotta slow down and somewhat exaggerate your moves. It'll click.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.