mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New guy needs help selecting a bike

So I'm going to double post this in the Beginners section but according to the forum description this seems more like the correct location for this thread.

I'm new to the sport. I used to ride a road bike on a daily basis back in high school (almost 15 years ago) and my BMX in the trails behind my house. Since then I've ridden MTB on and off on paved paths and trails. What I plan on doing is a lot of street riding - my goal is daily (or almost daily) ~14 mile trek, all street, from my house to the beach at the end of the road and back- and some trail riding when ever I can fit it in. I live in Hawaii so my options are pretty limited and I need some advice. Everything I've looked at, and everyone I've talked to, point to a Hardtail. I'll list the bikes I'm looking at and any advice or recommendations would be great.

1) Cannondale SL 2 or SL 3
    2) Trek 4500
    3) Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc
    4) Specialized Rockhopper
    5) Giant Roam 0 or 1

I know it pretty much covers all the bikes available within a certain price range but I don't know what makes on better than the other or which is a better value for the price. Also, is there anything I need to ask the dealer for (ie warranty, services, etc.)? I know this is kind of a lot to ask so thank you all in advance.

No good in rock gardens..
    The Cannondale SL2 has the best spec of the lot, IMO. Best fork (100m Rockshox with lockout and rebound) and has good 9sp Deore shifters and rear mech, and also good Shimano hydraulic brakes.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    The Cannondale SL2 has the best spec of the lot, IMO. Best fork (100m Rockshox with lockout and rebound) and has good 9sp Deore shifters and rear mech, and also good Shimano hydraulic brakes.
    That's the one I'm leaning towards but I'm debating if its worth the extra cash compared to the rest. Another member told be that he just purchased his for $700 or so which is a super good deal. I've found a couple dealers online. None of which ship to Hawaii. So I'm going to see what I can do at the only reseller here in Hawaii. If not I've got to figure out if its worth the extra money or should I just go for the next best thing. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Rockhopper mate.

No good in rock gardens..
    The Rockhopper spec is very similar to the 'Dale except I myself prefer a 100mm fork for a bike that's going to be used for trail riding. Even race HT's are coming out with 100mm forks - 80mm is so Y2K... Rockshox fork also has more street cred than the SR on the Spec.

Cannondale also has the 1.5" head tube which looks rather cool, if nothing else.
    Less isn't MOAR