1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New guy needs help

Hey all, looking for some help. I'm looking to get back into biking and have been shopping for a 29" wheel hard tail. I've kind of been looking for something entry level under about $800. So far, I've looked at the Marin Bolinas Ridge and the Felt Nine 70. But I'm open to suggestions about other models.

My other problem is that I'm currently stationed in South Korea, so I'd be buying it online and having it shipped. I buy a lot of other outdoor stuff from REI, but they won't ship bikes. So I'm looking for a reputable place online that will ship to an APO address.

Any help you guys can give me is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Nothing?

Hi There!
    probably an obvious question...do you have any family or friends that could ship the bike to you? also, it's really difficult, especially for a beginner-type to buy a bike online and get the proper fit so i'm wondering if you've searched for dealers in south korea? i just quickly went on felt's and trek's websites for example and both let you pick south korea as your country, i didn't go deeper into that though.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    There is a Tiwan based company Merida that makes pretty nice looking bikes. They own 49% of specialized and there bikes look about like a specialized. They dont sell in the US probly do to compition with specialized. How do you like it over there, I have been yo Korea a few times for work, it was a good time. They have special karaoke bars where gilrs sing with you among other things. I liked the soju but there beer is crap, HITE,WTF.

mtbr member
    I love my Trek Marlin. You can get one for 600ish. But if you can go up 200 instead of down 200 you might want to look at the Mamba

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New guy needs help

I could have my dad ship it over here, but I was kind of trying to avoid that. Is there not any good websites to buy from?

Rogue Exterminator
    I have a 2012 Bolinas Ridge.
    Great bike
    The 2013 had a little lower end fork but nicer brakes so I guess it is a trade off.

That being said, it seems a little silly to buy an $800 bike and pay what I would imagine to high shipping costs to over seas. Why not just look for a bike over there?
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New guy needs help

Well, after shopping online with no success for a few months, I walked into the PX today and saw they had a bunch of new bikes. I ended up picking up a new Cannondale Trail Six 29'er for about $530. I've only ridden it the one mile back to my place from the PX, but I like it. I just need to take it to a bike shop and get it adjusted and setup correctly.

mtbr member
    Nice, congrats