Thread: New guy intro

mtbr member

New guy intro

Hello everyone. New guy here from the Phoenix area. I've been out of the mountain biking area for a little while. Never was that experienced with it. Rode for a while back in Colorado when I was stationed there in the Army. But I got injured, short on cash, and since I couldn't ride, sold the bike for some extra money. Now that things have healed, got out of the Army, and got a job where I'm more stable, I'm looking to dive right back in when I get the cash. I'm not sure which acronym to use to fit my riding style, and I'm still unaware what most of them are. I like to have fun, ride trails, work my butt off, and come home dirty, bloody, and tired. Uphill, downhill, scenic and away from cars. I'm definately not going to be jumping off 20 foot rocks or anything crazy. If it requires a full face helmet, it's probably not for me

I had a Rocky Mountain Fusion and I loved that bike. I didn't have anything else to compare it to, but it was great. Rode all over the Colorado Springs and Denver area on that bike. Looking into getting something similar in the near future. I'm not big into knowing what components are the best, or what i should be looking for. I've got some time to do some research (probably a couple months), and starting to finally get guided in the right direction through searches and reviews. Still have no clue where my preferences are though as far as models. I'm looking for a hardtail. Other than that, I have no clue. 26, 29,

I'll be shopping for a bike shop soon. The only bike shop I ever dealt with was Ascent Cycling in Colorado Springs. That shop was just awesome. I'm the kind of guy who is willing to spend a little extra for good customer service and deal with good people. So if there are any good shops around, let me know! I'm on the west side of Phoenix near the White Tanks.

I'll be lurking around the forums trying to learn, checking out the awesome pictures, and reading the great stories.

mtbr member
    Welcome!! Its great to see you here!

There is so much to learn on these forums. Just read read and read. Learn to use the Search feature and search for topics regarding buying a bike, there are literally 100's of them.

From what ive seen on all the "buying a bike" threads there are 2 main schools of thought:
    1- buy something used that is upgradeable and relatively inexpensive and plan to ride the hell out of it, figure out what it is you really want in a bike, and then either upgrade it or buy new.
    2- spend the money and buy something really good right from the get go

Its a great sport full of lots of great people. The people on these forums are awesome and you will love checking in here whenever you have time.

Look forward to hearing about your journey...
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

Picture Unrelated
    Welcome back! During your research phase, I would suggest searching out some the bike shops in your new area and go talk to them. Hopefully you'll find one that you like and that should make any future bike shopping a lot easier. I'm a huge proponent of going with a shop you like first and finding a bike with them. Sometimes it's not practical but it's always nice to deal with a shop you like if you can manage it.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    That's the tough choice for me. When it comes to my toys, I like to get new and shiny so I know what kind of chaos it has seen. but at the same time... saving money means getting a bike sooner, which means riding sooner

I still kick myself for selling that Rocky Mountain. Not sure if there was really any choice though...

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Phoenix, what a great place. Drove there from San Fran a few years back. Very different from my home in Ireland!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Welcome to MTBR forums. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I new too. This a great place and welcome .