1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

New Guy With Chain Ring/Bashguard Question

Hi y'all.....thanks for all the many great posts I've read since joining. I've learned a lot cruising the forums since returning to biking and I think this is one of the better communities I have visited online!

Here is a little set up prior to my question.....sorry for the length, I hope it is easy to follow....

I have been riding a 2007 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc hard for about 5-6 weeks now, my first new bike since my GT Outpost in the mid 80's. It's a beaut, but I have noticed two things:

ONE - I don't use the outer ring at all when riding, and

TWO - Some of the teeth on the large ring are already showing signs of wear and tear from (I assume) hitting things on the trail.

MY QUESTION for the day is, if I wanted to remove the outer ring and put a bashguard on, is it as simple as pulling the screws out of the outer ring and replacing it with a bashguard?

My crankset is: - Shimano FCM-341-8, Octalink Spline, replaceable rings, and my chainrings are: 42S/32S/22S

From the Shimano site I found an exploded drawing that shows how to take it apart. It looks easy enough, but I have screwed up enough stuff in my years to know I should ask someone who knows before taking it apart.....

I'd like something like the e.thirteen supercharger, which says the 4-104 BCD comes in 32T size.

Is it as easy as taking off the outer ring andreplacing it with the bashguard and longer bolts or should I head down to the bike shop and let them do the replacement? I'd like to do as much on my bike as I can, but if it is over my head.....I have no problem admitting that too........

Cheers

eMan

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Give it a shot, try to replace it with your bash. If you run into problems, take it to the LBS. Just take care not to bend or snap anything. Sometimes CR bolts are snug as heck.

Best of both worlds - cheap fix if you can sort it out, otherwise, you support your local shop with a few bucks

Worst case you won't need more than spacers on the bolts to move the bash out if it's too close, though I honestly doubt that'd happen.

Edit: don't forget to reset your stop on your front derailer to keep inadvertent 'bash guard shifts' from happening.

I wear two thongs
    Also you might want to get a crank bolt tool (which grabs onto the back side of the crank bolts to help in removal), or if you are planning on doing wrenching of your own for the most part a nice tool kit and a copy of the book Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintainance would be great. Zinns book basically tells you how to do any kind of work on your bike with great illustrations and step by step guides. For a good not super expensive tool kit that has everything you need to build a bike except a few small things that can be easily improvised I would reccomend something like this:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/145...--32-Tools.htm
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Double-metric mtb man
    It is generally a straight forward thing to do. I had a bit of a headache when I threw a bash plate on my ride as the bolts they provided were too long. All fixed and it was pretty easy.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    if youre running a 32t middle ring I would get a slightly larger bash guard, maybe a 34 or 36 as you want to protect the middle ring.
    also do not lower your front deraillier, just reset the stop

mtbr member
    May 2007

Indeed.....it was that simple.......

Thanks everyone for the advice and the encouragement.

A stop at the LBS today and for $10 I walk out with a Truvativ bashguard taken off a new bike. Within minutes it is on, a perfect fit, and I am all set to adjust the limiting screws on my front derailleur.

Well, that wasn't exactly rocket science, but it did take me a bit to get it adjusted fairly well. I don't think it is perfect yet, I had a meeting after supper so I couldn't ride tonight, but tomorrow I should be able to finish off the adjustments.

And if I can't get it 'just so' then off to my LBS for my new friends to help me with that!

Cheers

eMan