1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

New Guy With Chain Ring/Bashguard Question

Hi y'all.....thanks for all the many great posts I've read since joining. I've learned a lot cruising the forums since returning to biking and I think this is one of the better communities I have visited online!

Here is a little set up prior to my question.....sorry for the length, I hope it is easy to follow....

I have been riding a 2007 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc hard for about 5-6 weeks now, my first new bike since my GT Outpost in the mid 80's. It's a beaut, but I have noticed two things:

ONE - I don't use the outer ring at all when riding, and

TWO - Some of the teeth on the large ring are already showing signs of wear and tear from (I assume) hitting things on the trail.

MY QUESTION for the day is, if I wanted to remove the outer ring and put a bashguard on, is it as simple as pulling the screws out of the outer ring and replacing it with a bashguard?

My crankset is: - Shimano FCM-341-8, Octalink Spline, replaceable rings, and my chainrings are: 42S/32S/22S

From the Shimano site I found an exploded drawing that shows how to take it apart. It looks easy enough, but I have screwed up enough stuff in my years to know I should ask someone who knows before taking it apart.....

I'd like something like the e.thirteen supercharger, which says the 4-104 BCD comes in 32T size.

Is it as easy as taking off the outer ring andreplacing it with the bashguard and longer bolts or should I head down to the bike shop and let them do the replacement? I'd like to do as much on my bike as I can, but if it is over my head.....I have no problem admitting that too........

Cheers

eMan

pronounced may-duh
    it's that easy. You can reuse the bolts you already have.

The outer and middle ring are held on with the same set of bolts. You may need to remove the inner ring to access the bolts. You may need to remove the crank from the bike to remove the inner ring.

When reinstalling the bolts, coat the threads with either antisieze or grease.

mtbr member
    installing a bash is no problem. go for it.
    If you go with an e.thirteen just make sure to follow the torque specifications for the bash (43 inch pounds) when installing with the provided chainring bolts and washers.

neutiquam erro
    Quote Originally Posted by d-rod
    installing a bash is no problem. go for it.
    If you go with an e.thirteen just make sure to follow the torque specifications for the bash (43 inch pounds) when installing with the provided chainring bolts and washers.
    d-rod,

Just to confirm, 43 in/lbs for a SuperCharger? I have mine off right now doing some other work, and I couldn't find a torque reference anywhere (I must have misplaced original documentation). Thanks.

OP:

I would recommend getting a bash that's at least 2 teeth max capacity bigger than your largest chainring. This gives you some wiggle room if you decide to get a bigger chainring. When I had a 32t ring for my 1x9, I got a 36t MAX SuperCharger (love it!), and am happy - I've recently put on a 34t ring, and I like still having some room left on the SuperCharger.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    yes, please don't exceed 43 inch lb for the supercharger.
    a good choice is the 36t supercharger. it gives the room to bump up the ring size if you feel the need to do so in the future. the 32t is good if you are dead set on just the 32t fo-life.

Live to ride another day!
    I was also thinking about getting a bash guard. I don't generally climb over logs bigger than a thick telephone pole.. but sometimes they're big enough my chainring hits. I'd prefer to learn how to handle the bike to avoid hitting at ALL.. but perhaps a bashguard is a good idea in the meantime..

Is a bashguard a good idea? Is it a waste of money? The bike shop sid they could put on a guard that replaces my big ring or allows me to keep the big ring. Are you all advising keeping the big ring?

martha

mtbr member
    e.thirteen superchargers are designed to replace the big ring , however there are others available that handle 3 rings. Its generally a personal choice issue but if you find yourself not using the big ring much then its safe to just replace it i guess.

Experiment a little on your next ride and keep note of whether or not you are using the biggie much or at all and make your decision from there.

mtbr member
    also, replacing a ring with a bash is something you could most likely do yourself in a few min. It will also allow for a personal inspection of your gear at the same time.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    FSA makes an aluminum ring with some teeth that is slightly larger than your middle ring
    since installing it I realized the extra clearance keeps me from hitting most things
    I dont ever miss the big ring

mtbr member
    you'll probably have to remove your pedal. got a pedal wrench?

the bolts are straight forward allens.

the bash i got (surly plastic) came with longer bolts, hardened steel by the look of it. it went on an SS mainly as a pant guard. so no comment on the necessity of the big ring. i do use mine (big ring) on my dirt springer. takes up chain slack on decents to help prevent chain dropping. although, adding a bash should probably be accompanied with chain shortening.

mtbr member
    you may want to dial in the limit on the derailleur so you don't accidentally try to shift onto your bashring.

yeah there are bashrings that let you keep you big ring, but the extra clearance is a big help, I've found. IMO, if you are using your big ring and want to keep it, you might be better off without a BR.

I'm rocking the shimano bashring - it doesn't look like the toughest thing out there, but it's pretty light and cheap - isn't there some old tierd saying about that?