mtbr member
    Mar 2014

New guy in Central Missouri

I just returned to mountain bikes after 23 years, always had a bmx bike. My old ride was a Trek 830 back in the early 90's as a kid. I just picked up a Raleigh Talus 29 that I'm digging so far. I feel like a kid again ripping around on my mtb. I am in need of some input. The fork on my bike needs to go. It was pretty apparent about 20 minutes into my first ride that I'm too aggressive for the suntour xct that is stock. I've been told the Rock Shox Reba is the way to go, lurking on here the Manitou Tower Pro. To say the least I'm confused and conflicted. I want something that will take a beating. I sort of like to find lines where ever I'm at and try to jump over stuff. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What part of Missouri exactly?
    As for a fork those would both probably be good, you might be able to find some good deals on last years models right now. One thing to pay attention to is the axle to crown length as they very by brand and model.

Last thing i am going to add if your looking to do alot of jump and big jumps at that I would recommend possibly looking into a dirt jumper or all mountian hardtail, as it would be able to handle the jumping better.

mtbr member
    Whats your budget on the fork? Are you looking for a new or used fork? A Reba RL for a 29er, new, is around $450.00 with your standard 9mm QR and you can probably find a nicely used one for around $250-350. They're great forks and would be a humungous upgrade from your Suntour, but when if you plan to spend that kind of money, then there are other options. The X-Fusion Slide 120mm which would add some travel to your bike which should be fine for your bike, although if you bought it brand new, it may void any warranties you may have. That runs in the $300-400 range as well, depending on where you find one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I am in the lake of the Ozarks area. Not going to be doing any big dirt jumps, just average mountain bike drop off,some hopping overstuff nothing big.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ok there are alot of nice trails in the Ozarks area. I have ridden the ones up around Truman lake and they are top notch.

I will make a recommendation that you some weekend drive down to Springfield and check out two rivers mtn bike park as it is an amazing bike park. It has around 6 to 7 miles of single track trail, An Intermediate flow downhill trail, a beginner slow style course, There is also a skills section. They are also working on build trail for phase two, i believe this will add another 6 or 7 miles of trail.

Two rivers is one of the main places my wife and I ride.

One last thing if you havn't been to Trails | Gateway Off-Road Cyclists, this is a great resource for trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Slowpok92, thanks for the info I'll have to check it out when I get some extra time to head down there. Much appreciated!!