1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New Guy Advice?

Pro Lurker
    May 2006

New Guy Advice?

Howdy all, I'm new to the sport, just bought a 06 Specialized HardRock sport and was wondering what kind of things I should know about bikes before I tear something up. Ive had bikes all my life done alot of BMX riding and some trails but never had a good bike that I wanted to take care of till now! Thanks in advance.

local trails rider
    Like bike maintenance?
    - did you get manuals for your bike and parts? Manu manufacturers have manuals available online (Shimano, Truvativ, Marzocchi, Answer Products, Fox, ...). Parktool has some good instructions on their site.
    - Keep your drive train, and everything else that moves, clean.

Pro Lurker
    May 2006
    Thanks for the advice i will check out the site. But I mean like tips or tricks they dont tell you about in the manuals.

ride hard take risks

mtbr member
    For one thing, remember that the bike is not indestructible. Do not use the bike for other than it's intended purpose or something will break. The HR sport is a low end bike as far as bike shop bikes go. It's leaps and bounds beyond any department store bike. I would say this bike is designed for beginner and intermediate mountain bike trails. If you repeatedly take this thing off drops and through rock gardens, expect stuff to break.

Even with normal use, you will need to maintain the bike. Cables will stretch, brake pads will wear, bolts will work their way loose. You should also keep the bike clean and lubed. A clean lubed bike will work much better.

If you just have the correct mind set about the bike and what it can and cannot do will help alot. I know alot of beginners probably get their bike, ride it a couple of times, don't clean it and don't make adjustments as things wear and stretch, and they may start ask themselves why they spent $400+ dollars on this bike when it won't even change gears any better than their $99 Walmart bike.