mtbr member
    Feb 2014

... and if we just ... New guy about to buy, need advice

I'm new to the sport and am looking for a used bike. I am looking for a fun way to get some exercise and enjoy the outdoors. I'll do street and light trail riding. Nothing too gnarly at least until I can pedal more than 50 yds without being out of breath.

I found a 2000 trek 6000 in what looks to be great shape. I've read many reviews and feel that this bike will suit my needs, at least for a while.

The he bike is a 19.5 inch frame with 26 inch wheels. The owner claims it's been lightly used and I won't be disappointed.

I'm 6',1" and 240 lbs. Is the 19.5 inch frame suitable for my size/weight?

It seems the front DR is the weak link in this model. I may upgrade if it gives me issues. Is there anything else I should specifically inspect prior to purchase?

He listed the bike for $300 but after I showed him its value on bbb, I got him down to $150. Does that seem like a fair price?

Any info or advice regarding this specific model is appreciated as it's the only bike for sale locally in my price range (under $200).

I'm meeting the seller tomorrow afternoon so quick replies are appreciated.

Thanks!

On wuss patrol
    Probably a decent bike for the $150 price if it fits you well, if it's lightly used, and it's been stored in a dry place. The fork has very little travel and from what I read about them, they don't do well with heavier riders as they tend to bottom out. A test ride well tell you more about this aspect. This bike may be a good place to jump in but if you keep at it, you may realize its limitations eventually.

Good luck and welcome to a great sport.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If it fits ,its 150$ you could ride it awhile and if you don't like it sell it for what you paid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Bought a 2005 Trek 4500 for $240.

mtbr member
    Looks like a good bike, especially to start with. If you find yourself on roads a lot and your fork starts sticking/rocking, a rigid fork should be available for about $30. Might fit your riding style much better.

FYI, should be fine, but I'm seriously concerned about the chain. in front, it looks like it's on large ring on the bottom, but mid ring up top of the crankset (chain frozen to the crankset?). Out back, it looks like it's on the large ring, but also on the large ring up front so it's chainline is seriously angled.

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    What looks weird to me re: the chain is that it seems to be stuck to the large ring at the top - it should be running in a straight path tangential to the large ring/cog, but it looks like it's not. Any bent teeth on the front chainring that it's getting hung up on by any chance?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    That pic was taken after removing the bike from the pickup truck. Levers were touched, pedals moved forward & back, etc. I think the bike was just halfway through a shift or something.

I just took it for my first ride. I shifted up & down through the gears and rode it for about two miles. It pedals, shifts and rides very smoothly. I don't sense any problems at at in its operation. I can tell already how great disc brakes are compared to traditional brakes I had on my old cheap bikes of my youth. Much smoother and less "snatchy".

mtbr member
    Congrats!! RIDE!! Enjoy!
    Bill
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6