1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: New Guy!

mtbr member

New Guy!

Hello all! Im new to trail riding and I just purchased my first real bike last night. Its a 2004 Cannondale F400
    The front fork is a Manitou Axel Elite with agnesium lowers and adjustable preload and rebound.

has Deore rapid fire shift levers

Front and rear Derailleurs are Deore and Deore LX

The rear cassete( gears) is a 9 speed and the front is a 3 speed.. so total of 27 speeds.

The seat post has a shock in it as well..

Mavic wheels.
    Im just getting into the sport so Im hoping that I can get a lot of good info here,because Im clueless to what any of the above means LOL.

mtbr member
    Welcome aboard! Sounds like you are set up and ready to go. It is amazing how much you can learn about this stuff just by cruising these forums. One thread I found particularly helpful was this one:

Basic Cleaning and Maintenance Guide

If you have questions there are a ton of posters that are willing to help you out, so fire away!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sounds pretty good.

A lot of people find suspension seat posts disconcerting. But it's a free country.

The fork and drivetrain are both pretty good if they're in good shape. You have enough bike not to have any excuses, anyway.

Enjoy it!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx