1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New got a few questions

I just picked up an '08 Specialized Rockhopper. I used to ride bmx when i was in high school and now that im in college i wanted to get back into riding but wanted a mountain bike instead. Anyways i just have a few concerns about the bike... starting to think this bike wont hold up like i thought...

First off the first time i went over the bars i bent the front rim... caught something that caused me to go over... kinda pissed me off cause i expected stronger parts on a 600 dollar bike ( i know that might not seem expensive to some but im a broke college kid). it didnt bent it much but it wobbled noticeably. It has alex double wall rims ( RHD's possibly) are these weak rims or did i really hit that hard? I just pissed with the spokes to get it good enough to ride some more... ill take it in soon to get my one free tune up and tell them about what i did and hope they can fix it better.

Second, if im braking fairly hard with the front brakes the front wheel seems to get sucked back from the braking force but also to the left (im assuming it goes to the left because the brakes on that side and it sucks it over for some reason). I just hate the feeling of the front end having play... the fork is a rock shox dart 3 so is this fork just not that strong or do most all forks have play like this?

Lastly if i go backwards at all on the bike it likes to change gears... does it just need adjusted or do all bikes tend to do that?... or i could always go single speed...

sorry its kinda long but thanks to those that took the time to read through and try to help

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ok for the front rim that you bent, it sounds like you didn't actually bend the rim, it sounds like you just knocked it out of "true" and while this probably shouldn't have happened right after you purchased a bike (unless you hit something really hard) well if you take it in and ask them nicely to re true it they will probably do it for you. and as for the wheel getting sucked back i dont understand what is happening is the fork actually bending or what if it is bending then there is something wrong with it, but one of my friends has the same fork and he has never had any problems with it. and when you say going backwards, do you meen pedaling backwards or actually riding your bike backwards? pedaling backwards shouldn't make it change gears, and if it does you need to call in your one free tune up, but if you are actually riding it backwards (and i don't know why you would do that) it could definitely cause the bike to change gears, but that would happen on any bike that isnt a single speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    yea i just knocked it out of true... i didnt really bend it... but i got it back close enough to ride it again

as for the fork its not really noticeable unless paying attention... just annoying if anything... i guess its not a big deal

and yes when riding backwards it likes to change gears... not pedaling backwards... i just like messing around in my driveway doing 180's on the front wheel ride backwards a bit then spin back around...