1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

New Giant or Used Pivot?

I'm coming over from mainly road cycling and after borrowing a few friends bikes for the last few rides have decided that a 150mm all mountain type of bike is the go.

With the budget I have, I've narrowed it down to a new Giant Reign 2 or I've been offered a 2010 Pivot Firebird XT/XO for similar money that appears to be in as new, original condition.

Thoughts? I'm thinking go the Pivot but thought it would be good to ask the question of others before I dive in.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Can you ride them? The Firebird seems to be a good bike.

mtbr member
    Ride them then decide. If not then the pivot would be my choice. Nice options.

Sent from my skz_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've demo'd the Giant, but I can't get to the guy selling the Pivot as he's a few hours drive away.

Everything I read about the Pivot seems good, its more wondering if theres been advances in equipment over the last 3 years. And if a so called new lesser bike would be now similar to an older high end bike.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't be spending that kind of $$ for a used bike without going to see and ride it. Just bring the $$ with you and if it all checks out buy the Pivot, if it doesn't your out a day of driving.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just one thing to keep in mind is if you chose the Giant you will have a lifetime frame warranty.