1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc

Ha just bought a new bike, decided to go with the wahoo disc! I rode it for the first time today and it handles very well, it climbs like a mountain goat and just feels good hah. The only thing i dont like is the pedals of course, but im switching to TIME pedals here soon so no worries but i took some pics after the ride. Tell me what you think!

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Looks great, pedals look pretty good if they are stockers...is it a 2008? Nice neighborhood too!

Turn your front QR up so that it is less likely to get released if you snag a rock or what have ya on the trail.

EDIT: Ok looks like a 2008 and those are stock pedals, cool. Only bummer is that rear Shimano derailleur will prolly become annoying as it tends to bounce around. Definitely get or make a chainstay guard to keep the chain noise down. On my Rockhopper I'm looking to upgrade to SRAM X9 later this year.
    Last edited by Natedogz; 06-23-2008 at 11:57 PM.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    nice looking bike. I was looking to purchase the Piranha but they're out of stock so I might settle with the Marlin Disc if I decide on a Fisher. Keep us updated on how it works for you.
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yea the bike guys said that gary fisher is in the "transition period" to the 09 models or something. So it was really hard to find the wahoo disc 08 model, like i believe only one bike store had it and it was like 30 mins away lol, but im satisfied! And about the derailleur, lol i noticed it today in the trails ha it was bouncing going down and over many stumps. Anyway i could fix that so it doesnt bounce around so much? hah or just gotta deal with it? And about the chain gaurd, lizard skins pretty good?

Ha and thanks about the neighborhood ha. Ive got a really good set of trails like RIGHT behind my house, Stanky Creek. Pretty fun!

mtbr member
    I got my WahooDisc last October. The seat is a bit hard but other than that no problems for me. Enjoy!
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

-Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeimanoldfart
    Anyway i could fix that so it doesnt bounce around so much? hah or just gotta deal
    yeah i have that bouncing problem with my marlin that i bought at the beginning of the month
    98 % of all teens do drugs or have tried drugs if you are in the 2 % range copy and paste this in to your Signature

mtbr member
    I went with the Wahoo disc also, and I've been riding it for about a month or so... I absolutely love the way that the bike feels, and I actually LIKE the pedals. I'll have to post some pics and see if mine are the same as yours - I bet they are. Just stock, aluminum platforms...

If and when you plan on any upgrades besides the pedals, what are you gonna do? New shox? Lighter wheels? Either way, I plan on running my components into the ground and then replacing em...

Oh, and I do notice TONS of noise from the chain banging around, anybody have any recommendations?

Enjoy your bike!!!
    If I were a vegetable,
    I'd be a radish
    Cause I'm only kinda rad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Haha i plan on running my components into the ground too! Ha as for upgrades im going to go for the TIME atac alium pedals. A good friend of mine is giving me his Sidi bullet 2's that already have the cleats for the TIMES. My older sister and him have recommended them, and theyve been riding since i can remember! ha So i just have to spent like 50 bucks on the pedals pretty excited ha.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeimanoldfart
    ...im satisfied! And about the derailleur, lol i noticed it today in the trails ha it was bouncing going down and over many stumps. Anyway i could fix that so it doesnt bounce around so much? hah or just gotta deal with it? And about the chain gaurd, lizard skins pretty good?
    Yeah, put a chainstay protector on to keep the noise down...Lizard Skins look like good stuff. Sometimes my chain falls off the front sprocket on more aggressive terrain, just have to be ready for that so you don't really jump on the cranks and no resistance to your pedalling...not good for your nadz.

Use it until it is worn out and then upgrade it to one with a really good spring like SRAM X9, but you'll have to change your gearshift for the rear derailleur to match if you go from SHimano to SRAM.

Nice, looked like good trails right behind your house.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...