1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

new to forum/ bike advice

hey i am new to the mtb scene and found the forum and have been reading and decided to post. i have been a dirt jumping bmx rider since i was like 12 never thought i would get off of a little 20 inch bmx. well i got married and wanted to ride with my wife but the bmx was holding me back on long road rides. i did not want to give up dirt worthyness though so i ran out and bought a bike from *****. it is an iron horse maverick 1.2. after riding for 2 weeks i came across an off road trail off of the w and od well i jumped on it and road and after 1 ride i am now hooked. i realize this bike will not take me to far so i want to get a new one already i will give that one to my wife she dosnt ride hard like me.

i started going to local stores and all tell me something different but i have been recommended a specialized rock hopper and a marin northside trail. both have good reviews and i assume it will come down to riding to decide.

so any opinoins on the 2 would be helpful and also i am 6'2 220lbs so i know i will need a good stout front shock to absorb my weight i also come from bmx so i just realized u can get smaller frames so everyone tells me i need 19 or bigger but i was looking at the smaller 15 and 16 cause they fit more like my bmx but with bigger tires. what are the advantages of bigger and smaller frames. that is all for now i have alot of reading to do on this forum it looks like.

oh yeah and i live in ashburn va the 2 shops i have been working with are spokes etc and pedal shop anyone know anything about those 2 shops?

thanks for having a nice forum and i hope to spend lots of time here and on the trails.

mtbr member
    I'm about your size, and I ride an XL Gary Fisher frame, which i think translates to around 19 or 20 inches.

A larger frame gives you more stability for the kind of trail/road riding i imagine you plan on doing. More power when you pedal, and less fatigue over long rides. If you get a small frame, it may feel more familiar, but you're going to end up with a bad back, sore legs, and a very slow, inefficient pace. Have one of your shops help fit you to the frame. A rule of thumb is to stand over the top tube with your feet flat on the ground. If you have around 2" of clearance (between your boys and the top tube), you're in good shape. Some brands will feature different length top tubes, even on the "same size" bike, so going on a few test rides will help you decide which style fits your body type. Again, a quality bike shop (not Dick's) can help you pick out the right size and fit.

Keep your BMX bike for flicking around on jumps and things. You'll appreciate both bikes for their different qualities.