1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

new to the forum

Hi,
    I am new to this forum and have some experience in the MTB side of biking but not a lot, early advice before jumping would be a big help. I have been a BMX rider since 04 and i fancy a bit of MTB/Freeride (to tall for BMX now) now i have more funds.

I have built a few mountain bikes before but nothing to special. (mainly out of parts i found and took of other bikes, you'd be surprised what you can build with "junk")

I'm currently building a project bike which at the moment consists of a standard Kona Shred 2007.

And this is my proposed setup

Frame: Kona Shred 2007
    Rims: Alex Dm-24
    Forks: Marazocchi Dirt Jumper 4
    Drivetrain
    - Crankest: Shimano alivio M410
    - Cassette: Shimano Hg 41
    - Chain: Hg 51 deore
    - Rear Mech: Shimano slx
    - Front mech: Shimano slx
    - Shifters: Shimano alivio M410
    Pedals: Dmr V8
    Brakes: avid BB7 Fr7 levers
    Bars and stem: FSA gravity
    Hubs: alivio M475
    Tyres: Maxxis High Roller 2

(yes i have done a fair amount of research)
    All comments are welcome

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i think you post will bet better fitted outside the beginner forum. anyone building their own is beyond the scope of discussion here.

Boracay Island
    Apr 2013
    How hardcore do you plan to ride? If you're going to be really intense I would upgrade your hubs and bottom bracket. I am not a fan of Alex Rims and honestly I don't like them at all. Go to Roval, Syncros, WTB or DT Swiss!

If you're a strong rider and don't really care about the weight then I think you'll be okay with those parts.

Wait til you destroy your crank arms or chew off the teeth of your front chainrings and cassette then upgrade to a XT crankset and Cassette

Should your derailleurs give up on you, change it to a newer version of SLX M660-10 front and SLX M675 rear (clutch-type). If you have extra money go for a full XT drivetrain. When your fork gives up, then get a Fox Talas 140mm.

I'm the type of person who doesn't really want to buy and buy random parts. I want to "use them up" first or use them til they give up then upgrade to the best I can buy with the budget I have.
    Let's Ride!

T.W.O.
    I doubt that the alivio components can withstand the punishment of DJ, alex rims too. Good news is you don't have to find the expensive lightweight cranks, older shimano LX would do the job ok.