1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

New forks or crankset?

I own a specialized Hardrock 2011. it came in stock with a bunch of Sr suntour parts and i have been upgrading it since i am in no position to buy a newer more expensive bike. the crankset and the fork i have on the bike are horrible sr suntour parts. the crankset is bent so the chain hit the front derailleur and the fork compresses far to much. i have tried adjusting the fork as it is adjustable but it sags to much. i would like to know what would be the better upgrade. a shimano deore crankset or a rockshox xc28 mag tk coil 100mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you bought that new and have the receipt Nick at Suntour will ship you an upgrade Raidon air fork for 175. Thread on upgrade is in this section. This is better than an XC28. Random Bike parts has a 1.5lb lighter Recon Gold for 240.
    Bend the ring back in place for now.

Cow Clicker
    Sr Suntour is a good brand that makes parts for inexpensive, entry-level, bikes as well as world champion equipped bikes. You may be using the parts for a purpose they weren't designed for.

If you are breaking cranks and forks, replacements are going to cost about half as much as you paid for the bike and other parts aren't far behind. You're going down an expensive path to get a well suited bike. Either tone your riding down, or, buy a bike more suited for your riding style and speed.

Eb has good advice.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

B.Ike
    Are you sure the crank-set is bent? you could be cross chaining, or the fd might need adjustment.

I recommend a rigid fork, over the one you listed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The chain ring could be bent ,thats more likely than the crank being bent.Or the deraileur could have moved cauing chain rub.Is it rubbing in every gear or just one?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    you will be thrilled with shimano octlink bb and cranks and entry level rockshox forks for an upgrade, while your at it throw a pair of primo pedals on it. promise you'll be thrilled.

Cow Clicker
    ^In that case - make sure they are clip less

B.Ike
    ^^

Cow Clicker
    I keed, I keed.

mtbr member
    thanks 4 all the replies. i took eb's advice and purchased a SR suntour Raidon

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by theavada11 View Post
    thanks 4 all the replies. i took eb's advice and purchased a SR suntour Raidon
    Nice one.

Let us know how you like it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    How do you like the Raidon fork?

mtbr member
    it works very well especially compared to the old stock fork i had on the bike previously

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks theavada11.