1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

New Fork Upgrade Need Help

Recently my fork (Rockshox XC 28 TK) decided to break on me and Im unsure which of the following to upgrade to. Im not willing to spend over $150. I normally ride single track with a lot of rough/rocky terrain with jumps. Any help would be appreciated!

Rockshox XC 30TK or Rockshox Recon Silver R

Or any other fork in this price range with 100mm travel minimum.

mtbr member
    I'd go the Recon just to get away from the very bottom level of Rockshox' lineup. The Recon stanchions are 32mm -- 2mm wider than those of the XC model. Otherwise, I don't see much to differentiate the two models in the specs on SRAM's website.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ive been told that the Recon Silver R has no compression damper though and could bottom out easily on "big hits" unless I buy and install a damper. Any truth to this or no?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just killed the xc 32tk that came on my merida 120, if you can stretch the budget get away from the xc range, im going all out to a sektor rl with the u turn 110-150mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah I really want to get away from the XC. I think I can find the funds for the Recon Silver TK and just get that instead of getting the R and having to get a compression damper with it for another $40-50
    Thanks for your guys help!

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Compression is set at the factory. Rebound adjustment will slightly affect compression.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.