1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

New Fork - Thick skewer?

I've been looking for a fork to replace my OEM Suntour SR XCR LO 100mm fork. Instead of just running out and buying one, I looked at the make of bike (iDrive 4) but the upgraded versions. I found this:

(Carbon Team) Fox F100X, 100mm
    (Carbon) Fox Float R, 100mm
    (1.0) RockShox Revelation 409 Dual air, 115mm
    (2.0) RockShox Recon 327 Air, 100mm
    (3.0) Rock Shox Tora 289, 100mm
    (4.0) Suntour SR XCR LO, 100mm

I've noticed that the Fox Float R and the Fox F100X come with some kind of thick skewer. I'm guessing that if I get one of these forks, then I need to replace my at least my front wheel? I'm guessing that it uses a specific hub? I've never seen one in person.

Also, I'm guessing that my 2007 iDrive 4 frame won't support the 9mm through bolt for the rear, right?

So, I should be better served by sticking with the RockShox as the upgrade path? From the other forks that were on better models, I'm also assuming that I need to stick with a 100mm, right?

Thanks
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

usually cranky
    those fox forks use a 15mm qr axle. you would have to get a new front wheel. stick with open 9mm dropouts. moving on, your fame will not work with a 9mm thru bolt rear but it will work with a 10mm. 9mm is front, 10mm is rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So it is a thick skewer?

Can any fork can be upgraded to the 9mm skewer?

Are the thicker skewers interchangeable with the older dropouts or just the rear is interchangeable with the 10mm?
    2009 Access 9.5 29er

mtbr member
    There are 3 axle widths commonly used (plus SpecEd's 24mm)

9mm - standard QR size for almost every XC and trail bike on the market

20mm - also known as 20mm thru axle, standard on downhill and freeride bikes, but common on all-mountain machines. Typically clamped with bolts, but there are some QR solutions like Maxle.

15mmQR - a quick release solution bridging the gap between 9mm and 20mm. Not so common, primarily on high end trail bikes with Fox forks.

Just stick with 9mm, standard QR forks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ah, so 9mm is just the standard skewer... OK.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz
    That's a down-grade
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

T.W.O.
    9mm Standard QR
    15mm TA QR
    20mm TA
    24mm Maverick
    25mm Spec-ed

I think that's it so far.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwarz
    So it is a thick skewer?

Are the thicker skewers interchangeable with the older dropouts or just the rear is interchangeable with the 10mm?
    an open dropout fork can use either a 9mm qr or a 9mm thru bolt. a 20mm thru axle fork uses a 20mm axel. a 15mm thru axle fork uses a 15mm axle. you cannot interchange systems. most bikes use a 10mm rear drop out. there is no such thing (i think) as a 9mm rear drop out. some dh and fr bikes have a 12mm rear drop out and a few bike have replaceable dropouts so you can switch from 10mm to 12mm or vice versa. you have a 10mm rear drop out on your bike.

We get titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro

Just stick with 9mm, standard QR forks.

Yes, if you're looking for convenience or to spend the least amount of money.
    However, realize that 20mm through axles exist and have increased in popularity for a reason. They offer increased stiffness that is a true and noticeable upgrade for many riders, and not just the hucksters.
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

We get titles?
    But just so I have things straight, you have skewers and through axels, and then you have whatever that fox 15 mm thing is. Okay, but how wide are those skooers, that keep your front wheel from falling off when you turn hard?
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by upNdown
    But just so I have things straight, you have skewers and through axels, and then you have whatever that fox 15 mm thing is. Okay, but how wide are those skooers, that keep your front wheel from falling off when you turn hard?
    to answer your fist question you can have 5mm skewers that go through the axle of a hub, 9mm skewers that will be the axle in the hub, 9mm bolt on that acts like a bmx hub, 15mm through axle, and 20mm through axle. and i have no idea what your second question is asking. maybe how wide between the fork drop outs?

mtbr member
    Yes, if you're looking for convenience or to spend the least amount of money.
    However, realize that 20mm through axles exist and have increased in popularity for a reason. They offer increased stiffness that is a true and noticeable upgrade for many riders, and not just the hucksters.
    So you would buy a heavier fork and replace a wheel because of this "increased stiffness"?

On a XC bike?

If 20mm thru axles were critical for bikes that use 100mm XC forks, then you would see them on the high end bikes.

Could you name a non-DJ 100mm fork with a 20mm axle?

usually cranky

reba, sektor, pike, recon, tora

We get titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    to answer your fist question you can have 5mm skewers that go through the axle of a hub, 9mm skewers that will be the axle in the hub, 9mm bolt on that acts like a bmx hub, 15mm through axle, and 20mm through axle. and i have no idea what your second question is asking. maybe how wide between the fork drop outs?
    That wasn't a question, it was a bad attempt at a joke, based on another thread.

We get titles?
    So you would buy a heavier fork and replace a wheel because of this "increased stiffness"?

On a XC bike?

If 20mm thru axles were critical for bikes that use 100mm XC forks, then you would see them on the high end bikes.

Hey, I just gave him something to consider. I never said 20mm through axle's were critical for xc riding, but they can certainly have their place, especially if the rider is heavy.
    I'm running a Nixon with adjustable travel that I generally keep around 4 inches, then crank it up for the downhills. I'm sure there are other forks like that out there. And though I've never hefted a Suntour SR XCR LO, I'm sure my nixon (and most aftermarket forks) is lighter than the Suntour - low end oem forks are usually crazy heavy.
    In general, you're right; a 100mm xc fork should be fine with a regular qr skewer, but don't act like that's the only rational option.

~Disc~Golf~
    That wasn't a question, it was a bad attempt at a joke, based on another thread.
    If he wanted to save some weight - you should have offered the skooors lite
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.