mtbr member
    Feb 2010

new fork and shock for 08 trance

just bought a 2008 giant trance 2. It has 4'' of travel front and rear, and i wanted to upgrade the for and rear shock. for the fork i was thinking a fox talas and for the rear float. any suggestions? will a travel adjust fork be to much for that bike?

mtbr member
    On the shock: Make sure you buy the shock to the same specs as the shock currently on the bike. Eye to eye length as well as actual travel of the shock. Also, you may want to do a quick check if the shock is custom. I don't think so, as the custom shocks really became fashion in 2009. But better check on the Giant forum.

On the fork: Check the axle to crown length of your current fork. Buying one that is up to an inch longer won't be a problem, but will change the handling of the bike. Travel adjust is actually a good idea, duh! It gives you choices in terms of handling and terrain or situation.

I am running a Heckler with a Talas 36 160mm fork. In 130mm mode the Talas is about as long as a standard 140mm fork. The Heckler has been designed for a 140mm fork and so handles really well on climbs and standard trails with the Talas in 130mm. On descends or when a really rough section comes up I flick the Talas to 160mm and charge right in.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    sweet, thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0