1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

new fork - new creaking sound

I put a reba on my my 2013 Giant Revel 29er 0. Since then I have a creaking sound that SEEMS to be coming from the headset area. However, it doesn't seem to creak when I'm standing, only when I'm sitting and pedaling and hitting bumps. Not sure how this could be the headset then?
    Based on some things I have read, I'm going to disassemble, clean, grease, and reassemble the headset and see what happens.

I have checked torque on wheels skewers, brakes, derailleurs, front sprockets, seat tube clamp, and I'm sure a few things I have forgotten. Oh yeah, switched out the seat with another one I had.

Any ideas on what else to check if my clean/inspection/grease/assembly doesn't work?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I finished cleaning and greasing - still creaking!
    Though I feel more confident now that I have everything back together right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I remembered reading something about greasing the seat post. Hmmmmm
    Makes in sense to me but I tried it anyway. No more creaking from the headset!
    Took it to the trails to test it out.
    Now to get rid if the creaking noise in my B17 seat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You'll find sound travels thru frames in weird ways sometimes.
    Phantom creaks are a PIA - good job finding it.