1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Hardtail Warrior

New CB Acid's Broken?

I was just at a Downieville MTBR gathering and I won a pair of CB Acid 1's (sweet!!). I've never used clipless before and I'm skeptical about it because I can't imagine being able to clip out super fast if you fall off of a skinny or something like that but I'm willing to give it a try. The sad part is that they are orange and don't match my bike at all.

So anyways, I finally got some clipless shoes today and tried to install the pedals but one of them seems to drag a little. Is this normal? Do they just need to be broken in or should I ask to have them rebuilt?

AKA Dr.Nob
    It's probably the bottom of your shoe catching on the pedal. Cut away any of the tread that is touching the pedal.

Read this BEFORE venturing out with the pedals.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

Hardtail Warrior
    Well the thing is that I was just holding them in my hand by the spindle and spinning it. They weren't actually installed on the bike yet. One seems to spin freely and one seems like it has some drag on it.

responsible zombie owner
    i have CB mallets and smartys and i notice that one pedal spins more freely than the other in each pair, but i've never noticed any problems when riding. the mallets have done over 1000kms with no problems at all, the smartys were more recent.

i've had a few emergency stops in these pedals and once the cleats are nicely worn down they clip out very easily and quickly when you absolutely have to. your heart will still be doing 180bpm though.