Thread: New Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

New Bikes

In the last 2 months I purchased an older early 90's Specialized Hard Rock(no suspension) and a 2006 Specialized Hard Rock Sport (hard tail)

I admit to being a bit of a newbie at this and admittedly started by riding on the multi- use trails in our area. I have moved to riding the easier mtb trails here and although I have fallen over a couple of times and took out a reflector on my handlebars hitting a tree I am getting pretty confident. I am ready to take on some of the harder trails soon if it will quit raining.. no sense in making it harder yet.

My question is... the newest bike, the hard tail, I just got last night.. has SRAM SX4 trigger shifters and I have not used that type before. They did not at first use seem intuitive although it was just up and down the street in the dark(I just had to ride it RIGHT NOW)

The shifters on my other bike are trigger shifters but are different, they are Shimano Rapid Fire.

I am looking for any advice about positioning the SX4's on the handlebars and usage of them.

I don't plan to replace any of the components at this time at least until I have figured out if I like them and they work for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Position the brake levers and shifters so they comfortable. No magic tricks.

Try adjusting the brake lever first. Hold yor fingers straight with your hand when you adjust them. You don't want to have to move your fingers or wrist up or down to apply the lever.

mtbr member
    +1 to what he ^ said.

IMHO brake lever positioning is much more important than shifter positioning.

As long as you can reach the shifter comfortably then you are good to go.

mtbr member
    Go to a good LBS and get which ever bike you are to ride the most fitted for you. They will postion everything according to your body, bike, and riding style. They will also make recomendations on any equipment changes if needed, shorter stem... wider bars etc... This will be the best money you will spend without a doubt.