1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New biker, new problem

So got lost on a trail that was well above my skill level, and beat my bike up a little bit. After coming out of a tough section I noticed that on certain gears, there was something off with my crank set... what I mean is, normally if I stop pedaling the chain and gears stop moving and I can hear that universal gliding bicycle noise. But what happens to me now is the chain bunches up and makes a bunch of noise until something works loose, then it bunches up again and repeats the process, occasionally flinging the chain off the front gears. If I had to guess I'd say something in the rear gear set is jammed up and isn't spinning when it's supposed to. What do I need to do to fix this?

mtbr member
    First question,
    1. Is it fully clean and all plant/mud fibers removed? A simple grass or mud wrap on a gear can make a difference. If when it is clean and oiled, the problem persists advance to question 2.
    2. When spinning the crank, is the noise only in a couple gears or toward the high end or low end of each one? If it is the hi-low it can be adjusted with the adjusting barrel on the shifter at both ends of the cable(typically). Small adjustments at a time, then test. If those do not do it, let me know and we will go from there.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    May 2013
    sounds to me like the cassette freewheel is catching.
    if you take the rear wheel off the bike, can you spin the gear cluster (cassette) with ease or does it stick and feel lumpy?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I took a look at the bike this morning, and you guys had the right idea. I cleaned and lubed the rear cassette and was unable to reproduce the problem. With my luck it'll reoccur 5 miles out in the jungle haha