1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New Bike...will I regret it?

Ok I found a great deal on a 2012 the LBS had left in stock. I got a Stumpjumper Elite for $2300. Only issue is it is a size large and I'm 5'10. I feel fine riding it and the guys at the shop measured me and said everthing looked good. But everything I read says that I need to be riding a Med. Maybe its just all in my head.......?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ride the medium and see how the size difference feels. While you are testing ride a Scott Scale 930 or 2012 Expert in medium. The slacker HT angle may be worth considering over any size Spec.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    post this in specialized forum, they woudl know about frame fit there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You're a tweener like me, at the large and small ends of medium and large so it comes down to what works for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm 5'9" and ride a large GT frame just out of personal preference. I've ridden motocross my whole life and the medium frame just "felt" to small from what I was accustomed to.

Picture Unrelated
    You're in the middle, plus if you think it fits, then that's all that matters.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

MTB B'dos
    I'd also think you should be on a Medium frame at your height, but height isn't the only thing to take into account, must also look at usage and personal preference. If you're doing more XCish type stuff, then the larger frame should work fine, if you're doing more Trail/technical you might prefer the Medium. Definitely ask to take a Medium out for a spin, if even in the parking lot to see how it feels to you.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hawks1911 View Post
    Ok I found a great deal on a 2012 the LBS had left in stock. I got a Stumpjumper Elite for $2300. Only issue is it is a size large and I'm 5'10. I feel fine riding it and the guys at the shop measured me and said everthing looked good. But everything I read says that I need to be riding a Med. Maybe its just all in my head.......?
    Do you have the possibility to return it? If you run into the situation where you don't like what you have.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Whoa. Im 6'4" and my boys were touching on a large (21") Trek Mamba. I was complaining to the owner of the LBS how I got a bike that was too small and he had me straddle the top tube and it was close. Now I do know that standover is an overrated ie old school figure and effective top tube length is preferred nowadays. FWIW my little 19" Fuji doesnt cause me any pain so decided to keep it. If you feel good on it then keep it for sure. A great deal is hard to find these days.
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by Koppuh Klyde View Post
    Whoa. Im 6'4" and my boys were touching on a large (21") Trek Mamba. I was complaining to the owner of the LBS how I got a bike that was too small and he had me straddle the top tube and it was close. Now I do know that standover is an overrated ie old school figure and effective top tube length is preferred nowadays. FWIW my little 19" Fuji doesnt cause me any pain so decided to keep it. If you feel good on it then keep it for sure. A great deal is hard to find these days.
    If your "boys" are important to you, learn to dismount properly. I do not spend any time straddling my bike with it standing up and with my feet flat on the ground. If I were Fred Flintstone pushing my car with my feet, this might be relevant.

It isn't.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch