1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

New Bike: Trek Gary Fisher Marlin 29er

Well I've posted on here a couple times trying to decide on a bike and I finally decided on one! Funny thing, is that it isn't one of the ones I posted about. I picked it up last Saturday from one of the lbs. It is 21".

Anyway, I am happy! I've been on three rides since I've bought it, two short runs cross country and a 12-13 mile jaunt on one of the local mostly paved trails. Here are some pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bike: Trek Gary Fisher Marlin 29er-img_2932.jpg  

New Bike: Trek Gary Fisher Marlin 29er-img_2931.jpg  

Bloated Cubs Fan
    Nice bike! Congrats.

Picture Unrelated
    Sweet bike!
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sweet bike. Sweeter car. Had an 4 TL that saved my wife's and my life in a wreck in Jan of this year. Man I miss that car.

My spelling is atroshus
    Nice bike. Congrats on your new bike day!

mtbr member
    Is this your first 29er? What's the biggest difference in riding the larger tire? I have yet to try one out. Is it really noticeable?
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

rollin
    Oct 2009
    dude I just cant get used to that Trek part with Gary fisher...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks guys!

This is my first 29er. I am 6'-1" so the 29er fits me perfectly. I can't really compare 26 to 29 because with the exception of test rides, I haven't ridden a 26" bike for a while. The 29er just felt and fit better, and I was sold.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Very nice! Exact same bike I'm looking at. Can't wait to get it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nice bike. That bike was one of the bikes I was thinking about. When I was ready to buy 2 months ago, it wasn't available in my area so I didn't get a chance to test ride one. I ended up buying a Felt Nine Trail. Priced about the same as your bike. I like the colors of your bike better than mine. Here is a pic of mine.

I recommended your bike for my brother. So maybe soon I can test it out

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by joepa150
    Nice bike. That bike was one of the bikes I was thinking about. When I was ready to buy 2 months ago, it wasn't available in my area so I didn't get a chance to test ride one. I ended up buying a Felt Nine Trail. Priced about the same as your bike. I like the colors of your bike better than mine. Here is a pic of mine.

I recommended your bike for my brother. So maybe soon I can test it out
    Thanks! I would have test rode the Felt Nine Trail but there aren't any dealers in my area. Let me know how the two compare!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crazych42
    Thanks! I would have test rode the Felt Nine Trail but there aren't any dealers in my area. Let me know how the two compare!
    I tested the Trek GF Cobia 29er. It probably rides similar to the Marlin. I thought it rode well and similar to the Felt.

I will let you know if my bro gets the Marlin. Enjoy

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    crazych42, do you know how much your bike weighs? I'm considering this bike and none of the LBS i have been to have one in stock. I know it wont be exact, but I'm looking for a ballpark. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketoridemybike
    crazych42, do you know how much your bike weighs? I'm considering this bike and none of the LBS i have been to have one in stock. I know it wont be exact, but I'm looking for a ballpark. Thanks!
    My guess is 32-33lbs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I sell Fishers in my shop. the Marlin in 17.5" is 31 lbs.
    It is a great deal for a solid bike. Especially considering the next 29er up in the line is the X-cal at $1500.
    For the price point, it smokes the Giant Talon2 29er at $750. and apparently, the competing Specialized is over $900.
    $600 for a well equipped 29er with lockout fork and great geometry is awesome.
    I would buy one if I didn't already have my heart set on a Rig.

mtbr member

I have a Marlin and I love it.

I test-rode the Specialized Hardrock and the Felt Trail first. I almost bought the Trail but I held out until the Marlins came in. I'm glad I waited. The Marlin rides just like my 26er except...better. And I was able to get it for my birthday!
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skullcap
    I test-rode the Specialized Hardrock and the Felt Trail first. I almost bought the Trail but I held out until the Marlins came in. I'm glad I waited. The Marlin rides just like my 26er except...better. And I was able to get it for my birthday!
    It was down to the Hardrock Disc 29er and the Marlin for me... and the Marlin won as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skullcap
    I tested a 29er Specilized Hardrock Sport Disc and I wasn't crazy about it. My Felt was my Bday present also. The Felt felt to me like I was riding a 26er.

I haven't looked at the specs recently but I think the Marlin and the Felt are comparably equipped.

mtbr member
    I tested a 29er Specilized Hardrock Sport Disc and I wasn't crazy about it. My Felt was my Bday present also. The Felt felt to me like I was riding a 26er.

I haven't looked at the specs recently but I think the Marlin and the Felt are comparably equipped.

Yeah, it was a close call between the Marlin and the Felt. Really close. But something about the Felt just didn't feel quite right. For all I know it was a fit issue, but it expressed as a difference in handling. You know how those subtle minutia can translate into a big obvious difference sometimes. I thought the Felt was an great bike and very well equiped for the money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What do you guys think about the Marlin saddle? I've gone on a couple long rides and it's killing my groin... It's taking the fun out of riding! I'm going to give it a few more rides, but I'm seriously considering a new one.

mtbr member
    Ditch it. That thing will harm you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by crazych42
    What do you guys think about the Marlin saddle? I've gone on a couple long rides and it's killing my groin... It's taking the fun out of riding! I'm going to give it a few more rides, but I'm seriously considering a new one.

Are you new to riding? I was new to mountain biking (besides riding mountain bikes around town for many years) and my butt hurt for the first couple of times. It seemed like it doesn't hurt as much anymore. I also bought padded underwear from REI. They work great. I was thinking of getting a new saddle which I am sure would help but I didn't get a chance yet and really don't have a need to since I bought the padde boxers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Are you new to riding? I was new to mountain biking (besides riding mountain bikes around town for many years) and my butt hurt for the first couple of times. It seemed like it doesn't hurt as much anymore. I also bought padded underwear from REI. They work great. I was thinking of getting a new saddle which I am sure would help but I didn't get a chance yet and really don't have a need to since I bought the padde boxers.

Yeah, I'm new... I'm not so sure about the padded underwear, but I guess that's an option!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice bike! Go and buy a pair of GOOD cycling shorts or bibs and your problem will be solved. You can wear something over them if you are embarrassed but once you wear Lycra shorts you will never ride a bike without them again, OK maybe thats an exaggeration, but they do make cycling much more comfortable and enjoyable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dust3313
    Nice bike! Go and buy a pair of GOOD cycling shorts or bibs and your problem will be solved. You can wear something over them if you are embarrassed but once you wear Lycra shorts you will never ride a bike without them again, OK maybe thats an exaggeration, but they do make cycling much more comfortable and enjoyable.
    Thanks for the tip. I MAY try that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast