1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New bike suggestions....

Hey all,

I'm just getting back into biking after about a ten year hiatus. I used to ride and race competitively during my teen years while riding a Trek 24" mtn. bike and also a hand me down Cannondale from my dad who also raced competitively.

I came home from college to find both of my bikes sold in a garage sale so I haven't bought one since. Recently I just moved into a new place and a neighbor moving away offered me his mountain bike for free. It's about a 25 pound Murray rust bucket piece of crap but it was free. Rims bent, brakes don't work, etc. But it's reignited my passion for biking.

I have been doing a little research on bikes and I am seriously trying to avoid buying a "big store" bike. I went to the local Bike Source and there are so many new bikes and types out that I am a little overwhelmed. My wife has a Trek 6000 WSD that her parents recently bought for her so she's set for quite sometime. Me on the other hand, I am in desperate need of something better but I unfortunately do not have unlimited sums of money as her family does.

My budget right now is 400.00. I know that limits me to the extreme but I do recall seeing some Rockhoppers at Bike Source for 359.00. Any other ideas? Should I go used? Should I go new? I also found a GT mtn bike with Cyclops trainer package for 250.00 that was on sale for craigslist but not too sure on that considering some GT bikes are relatively cheap.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? I live in Columbus, OH so the majority of trails aren't very demanding. Although there are a few a little bit out of town that will require a better bike. My wife and I are looking to hit the trails hard this summer and stay away from flat, monotonous riding. Let me know what you think about bikes and what would be the best bang for the buck aside from mega-store bikes.

Jason

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What do you mean "some GT bikes are cheap"? Every bike company has a budget bike that is equally spec'd all around your price range. Not much difference between them.

mtbr member
    Since you used to ride competitively my question would be, do you think that in a short time after starting to ride again, do you think those competitive juices will start to flow again? What I mean by that is, once you start riding and get back in to the swing of things, do you think that there is a chance that rather than the non-demanding trails you speak of you may want to start seeking out the tough trails your area may offer? If so, you might consider saving up and getting a better bike than $400 can offer or definitely look at used bikes. I just say this because if you were new I think $400 would get you enough bike to start with but with your background you might very quickly outgrow a $400 bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nubster,

That's a good question. Right now saving may not be a viable option so it looks like I will have to go with something a little less than what I would prefer to ride on. Yes, I see myself getting back into competitive racing....but not now. I have another year of grad school so unfortunately my time available to ride is restricted.

What should I go with? I hear great things about Gary Fisher for used bikes as well as any Cannondale or Giant. Any thoughts on good brands I should look into? Since I have been out of it for so long I am just seeking something that won't break if I do decide to take it on rougher terrain. I keep reading horror stories about Wal-Mart type bikes that break after a few rough rides. I'm trying to avoid that.

Jason

mtbr member
    Pretty much any of the big names will be suitable. Trek, Giant, Specialized, Gary Fisher, Cannondale, ect. Stay away from WalMart at all costs.

Fat-tired Roadie
    A Rockhopper at $359 is a pretty awesome deal, even for the bottom-spec model.

I raced my Hardrock all last season and am starting another season on it now. I didn't think I'd race it when I bought it, but I've revised my definition of race-ready to "goes, stops, shifts, and the fork's not broken." It feels good to pass someone on $6000 worth of race hardware with a basic hardtail, and as long as everything works, the engine makes much more difference than any of the other components.

I would check out the specific GT model on bikepedia.com. I think that they're pretty much in line with everything else at any given pricepoint - so if it was originally a Wal-mart pricepoint bike, stay away; if it was a $500+ bike, it's probably okay.

If you live somewhere where it's feasible to go to school on your bike, you can shoehorn a surprising amount of training time into your day just by doing that. Beginner class races, at least where I am, tend to come in at under an hour.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am going to give that Rockhopper a try tomorrow at Bikesource. If I like it i'll probably buy it. We have a 25 mile ride tomorrow with the wife so having a new bike to break in would be a good thing. Thanks for the info.

Jason