1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New Bike: Steely, Chameleon, Crush . . . Opinions?

[Sorry about any errors; this is my first post:cool:]

So I'm thinking about getting another bike mostly for "all-mountain" type stuff, but also light freeride and occasional downhill, some jumping maybe a few times a month, and also quite a bit of xc. But my main focus is AM, including fast downhills, drops under about 4 feet (without tranny) and under about 8 feet (with tranny), and pedalling some long uphills. I know bikes designed for speed and descents are usually slacker, which compromises climbing ability, but I'm not too concerned as long as the head tube angle isn't 65*. Some features I would like but don't need:
    26in wheels
    shortest possible chainstay
    single chainring 9-speed (between 4 and 9 actually)
    fork travel adjustable between about 80mm and 140mm with lockout (I ride on the road to visit and get to trails)
    Of course, none of those features are really necessary but they would be preferable. I weigh about 120lb and almost 5'6" tall now but I'm still growing, too. I also would like if it was easy to wheelie/hop/manual but again not necessary. I guess that's all for now. Thanks for any input; it is greatly appreciated!:eekster:

mtbr member
    Marin Rocky Ridge, my friend!
    Rocky Ridge 7.6 | Marin Bikes
    it is 650b, but it has really short chainstays, has a 1x drivetrain. has 130mm travel with lockout and is made for all mountain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I tried the link to the Rocky Ridge, and it looks great! I only have a few concerns. This will be my only bike for a while, so I want to make sure it is really what I want. With larger wheels, is the maneuvering (sp.?) bad for techy trails with lots of corners? I was thinking 26in b/c they are better for tight situations. And my internet here is slow, but I'm under the impression that it is aluminium, and I was hoping for steel because it's more solid and soaks up rough spots better than a more rigid construction. I'm liking the chainstay, drivetrain, and fork. Thanks. KK

Big Gulps, Alright!
    You're asking a lot out of one bike.

Look at this thread for ideas: The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.

mtbr member
    I had a Chameleon with a Talas. When set at 120 or 140, I could pop a wheelie with no effort. It was a very durable bike, and I had one problem with it: the horizontal dropouts. At least once per ride my wheel would slip on one side in the dropouts after jumping it. So annoying. However, that bike took a lot of abuse for a hardtail. Not sure if you want a hardtail for what youre wanting to ride, though, and the new Chameleons no longer have the horizontal dropouts.

Personally, I would check out a Bronson or Bantam.

But here is this...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I know that's a lot to expect from a bike, but I'm not really set on all of those details, just would like some of them. I've been looking at the hardtail thread and there's some good stuff on there.
    I have also been checking out the Chameleon but I'm not really sure. Guess I'll have to test ride one. I love test rides. Thanks a lot guys!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Check out Chromag bikes

B.Ike

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The Chameleons in that video are SEXY! They are also high on my list. I'm about to check Chromag. I'll have to look into the 456 but I've been hearing a lot about it. Thanks!