1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2009

New question here. New bike. Scott aspect 50 or Haro flightline sport?

Hello all,

I wanted to get your opinion on two bikes. The Haro Flightline Sport and the Scott Aspect 50. I like these bikes because of the price and what they offer. (100mm fork with lockout, disk brakes, and they appear to have good componets for the price.)

Does anyone own any of these two? They both look durable as I am a bigger rider 6'3" 275lbs. I know a lot has to go on feel but I want to know if they are durable or clunkers. I am open to any suggestions too. My range is $500.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    My pal has a Haro FL Sport. Off the shelf it had an issue whereby the chain would jam up under small chainring and the frame. On three occasions he'd have to take the chain apart to get back on the ride. Spent about as much time on the handlebars as it did tires in the dirt! Probably a fluke, but the lbs he bought from didn't give him much help. A trip to another lbs 'seems' to have remedied the issue. Just an observation. My Trek 4300 Disc-- no issues at all. If Haro, ask around to see if this is an issues others have had.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    try re setting your low gear limiter!!
    Giant Yukon 09'
    Merida NinetySix
    Marin 09 Quake 7.9

huh?
    Jun 2008
    I agree with andy85. This sounds more like a set-up problem. Haro Flightlines are very good bikes.

mtbr member
    Huh, my boyfriend had a FL Sport, too. Also had that problem right out of the shop. Took it to the shop where I got my bike and never had the problem again.

Don't know anything about Scott, but Haro makes good bikes. The important thing is that you sit on them both and ride around a bit, and get the one that feels most comfortable to you. Any bike can have a screwy component or something that just happens to be defective or wasn't installed properly. Even top of the line bikes have these problems and they can be taken care of. But, if you get a bike that you don't feel good on, the only thing that will fix it is getting a new bike.

Good luck.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I ride a Scott Scale and love it. Have you ridden both bikes? If you like the parts spec and can live with either one then get the one that feels most comfortable. I don't think you'll have durability issues with either one as long as you use them for their intended purpose and ride them within their limits. My Scale is a great bike but it's not made to take the abuse of a more dedicated all mountain rig. The largest drop I took it off of was 2' at the most earlier today and I didn't even mean to. I just wasn't looking down the trail far enough to pick a better line. From what I understand the Aspect frame is built a little stronger than the Scale.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    I'm about your size and I ride a flightline two. I dropped my chain and had the aforementioned problem twice...once the first time I rode the bike and the second time a while later. after that no issues, but I put a new crankset on in february when mine crapped out on me.

after owning the bike since september and using it every day for most of the time I've owned it I can attest to the strength of a haro frame. I used it as a campus commuter bike and trail ride as often as possible and the frame has held up very well, and it's not even the upgraded version of the sport model. the rest of the components though, I can't speak quite as highly of. my crankset stripped where the pedal screws in....3 times until I finally bought a new set. I snapped a spoke in my rear wheel and found out that my free hub was shot. new wheels were in order. being my size I easily bent the seat rails of the stock saddle (haro house brand in my case) and wore out a chain and the cassette recently. I can also tell the my forks are ready to be replaced...just not looking forward to actually doing that one.

I can't say for sure but I don't think that I would have not had these issues with a different bike...being this big with the lower end components will bring about a lot of breaks and a need for new parts eventually. my bike saw a lot of use and my frame has held up like a champ. I will definitely vouch for the haro, but scott also makes great bikes. I say sit on them both, ride them both if possible and make your decision based on fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have a Scott Aspect 40 and love it. Have not had any problems yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've been cruising around on an aspect 45 for about a month and a half now and am really enjoying it. Good bike